Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor
Default Lost my squat

Ok, I've been working really hard on my squat since around August of last year.
I'm not naturally very good at squatting, but I had it up to 335lbs a few months ago.
Then i hurt my knee doing some light box squats and had to lay off the knee for a few weeks.
Now my knee is feeling 100%. Last week I was doing some fairly heavy squats and really didn't perform well.
Then, today, I thought i would work up to some heavy singles.
I worked up to a 275x2 and it was tough. Then I tried a 295 and failed!
What's up with this? If I hadn't worked so hard on the 275 I probably would have got the 295, but even then, I'm 40 pounds down? That's not even 90%, come on!
It's not like my knee gave me trouble, I just didn't have the strength.

you think maybe my knee is not really full strength yet, and i just don't realize it?
i have lost about 10lbs of bodyweight in the last couple of months, but i just set a new 1RM on my deadlift at 405, and my bench press seems to be doing ok.
i really don't want have to spend another 6 months building up my squat just to get it back to where it was because of a really minor injury. this stinks.
should i get a belt and some knee sleeves to try and inflate my squat numbers so i don't feel so bad about it?
or should i just give up on squatting anything heavy and settle for having pansy legs?
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's only a 40 pound dip in a few weeks. I wouldn't get discouraged. It always comes back easier the second time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's only a 40 pound dip in a few weeks. I wouldn't get discouraged. It always comes back easier the second time.
Agree.

I'm in the middle of this right now myself.

Just do your workouts,get your reps, food and rest and you should be able to add back 40# in 4-8 weeks max.

You lost weight and your CNS got de-conditioned...all normal for post-injury
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Well, chicken legs are definitely not an option.

I wouldn't fret about it too much. How was your form compared to that 335? You may just have to find your "groove" again, sort of speak. It happens to all of us.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

The squat is a complex movement. Moreso than the deadlift. So when you don't do it for a while your body sort of "forgets" how to do it well. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's what it means for you. Now that your knee feels good to go, just get back to it. Your body will relearn the movement and your strength will come back in no time.

Don't get discouraged. It happens to us all at one point or another. About 2 years ago I was squatting about 315, then one morning I got out of bed and my left knee wouldn't bend. It just wouldn't bend, and if I tried to make it bend it would hurt like hell. It was months before I could squat again, and when I did I had to start with the bar. 135lb seemed impossible. Funny to think about, considering where I am now.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Try using more sets and reps at a lighter weight. It will help you get back in the groove.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

It won't take 6 months to rebuild. Was that 335 a one shot deal or have you hit it multiple times? If you only hit it once so far, I would worry even less. Sometimes the stars align and you get an extra 10 pounds because you are awesome that day.

Try squatting at least twice a week and build back into it 5 pounds at a time. You'll be back to your former glory in a month or so without a lot of risk to yourself if you play t smart
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

thanks guys. that does make me feel better about it.
i did only hit 335 once, but it felt pretty solid, and my rep counts at lower weights projected to about 335 too.
it's a real downer when i was hoping to be closing in on 400 by the end of the year and couldn't even hit 300.
i'm sure the weight loss doesn't help but i felt like i was a little too fat for comfort so i've been cutting calories.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Cutting calories will always effect your strength, especially if it isn't that developed yet. No worries. It's worth it to drop some fat.

I'm getting to that point myself, lol.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

yeah, i'm tired of breaking all the furniture. it would be cool if it were all muscle, but it clearly is not.

hopefully, i'll get the groove back.

it's frustrating because i have very long thin legs and squatting is really a challenge for me. if i shaved my legs they'd look exactly like giselle's. a leg man might see a picture of my legs and cream his jeans.