Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Lost my squat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13143)

Bronco 03-30-2013 08:52 PM

Lost my squat

Ok, I've been working really hard on my squat since around August of last year.
I'm not naturally very good at squatting, but I had it up to 335lbs a few months ago.
Then i hurt my knee doing some light box squats and had to lay off the knee for a few weeks.
Now my knee is feeling 100%. Last week I was doing some fairly heavy squats and really didn't perform well.
Then, today, I thought i would work up to some heavy singles.
I worked up to a 275x2 and it was tough. Then I tried a 295 and failed!
What's up with this? If I hadn't worked so hard on the 275 I probably would have got the 295, but even then, I'm 40 pounds down? That's not even 90%, come on!
It's not like my knee gave me trouble, I just didn't have the strength.

you think maybe my knee is not really full strength yet, and i just don't realize it?
i have lost about 10lbs of bodyweight in the last couple of months, but i just set a new 1RM on my deadlift at 405, and my bench press seems to be doing ok.
i really don't want have to spend another 6 months building up my squat just to get it back to where it was because of a really minor injury. this stinks.
should i get a belt and some knee sleeves to try and inflate my squat numbers so i don't feel so bad about it?
or should i just give up on squatting anything heavy and settle for having pansy legs?

BendtheBar 03-30-2013 10:01 PM

It's only a 40 pound dip in a few weeks. I wouldn't get discouraged. It always comes back easier the second time.

jdmalm123 03-30-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 344234)
It's only a 40 pound dip in a few weeks. I wouldn't get discouraged. It always comes back easier the second time.

Agree.

I'm in the middle of this right now myself.

Just do your workouts,get your reps, food and rest and you should be able to add back 40# in 4-8 weeks max.

You lost weight and your CNS got de-conditioned...all normal for post-injury

Squatter 03-30-2013 10:17 PM

Well, chicken legs :eek: are definitely not an option.

I wouldn't fret about it too much. How was your form compared to that 335? You may just have to find your "groove" again, sort of speak. It happens to all of us.

Soldier 03-31-2013 07:27 AM

The squat is a complex movement. Moreso than the deadlift. So when you don't do it for a while your body sort of "forgets" how to do it well. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's what it means for you. Now that your knee feels good to go, just get back to it. Your body will relearn the movement and your strength will come back in no time.

Don't get discouraged. It happens to us all at one point or another. About 2 years ago I was squatting about 315, then one morning I got out of bed and my left knee wouldn't bend. It just wouldn't bend, and if I tried to make it bend it would hurt like hell. It was months before I could squat again, and when I did I had to start with the bar. 135lb seemed impossible. Funny to think about, considering where I am now.

Off Road 03-31-2013 07:49 AM

Try using more sets and reps at a lighter weight. It will help you get back in the groove.

bruteforce 03-31-2013 08:35 AM

It won't take 6 months to rebuild. Was that 335 a one shot deal or have you hit it multiple times? If you only hit it once so far, I would worry even less. Sometimes the stars align and you get an extra 10 pounds because you are awesome that day.

Try squatting at least twice a week and build back into it 5 pounds at a time. You'll be back to your former glory in a month or so without a lot of risk to yourself if you play t smart

Bronco 03-31-2013 09:42 AM

thanks guys. that does make me feel better about it.
i did only hit 335 once, but it felt pretty solid, and my rep counts at lower weights projected to about 335 too.
it's a real downer when i was hoping to be closing in on 400 by the end of the year and couldn't even hit 300.
i'm sure the weight loss doesn't help but i felt like i was a little too fat for comfort so i've been cutting calories.

Soldier 03-31-2013 10:03 AM

Cutting calories will always effect your strength, especially if it isn't that developed yet. No worries. It's worth it to drop some fat.

I'm getting to that point myself, lol.

Bronco 03-31-2013 01:24 PM

yeah, i'm tired of breaking all the furniture. it would be cool if it were all muscle, but it clearly is not.

hopefully, i'll get the groove back.

it's frustrating because i have very long thin legs and squatting is really a challenge for me. if i shaved my legs they'd look exactly like giselle's. a leg man might see a picture of my legs and cream his jeans.