Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast
Default 5 Arnold Training Tips

5 Arnold Training Tips

Stop over complicating your workout routines. Here are 5 tried and true exercises that Arnold used to build himself into “The Oak”.

By Ted Hammond

Front Squat

While this exercise is a bit tricky to master, Arnold knew that all variations of the squat were useful to master because each worked the leg musculature slightly differently, and he could optimize overall muscle mass by including each in his workout at some point. With the front squat, the center of gravity is forward and the muscular tension falls more directly on the quadriceps.
Though shown here with a board under his heels, which Arnold felt helped improve his balance, this move can also be done on a flat floor. Hold the barbell in place across your front delts by elevating your arms, forming a “shelf” from which the bar be secured. Cross your arms and grasp the bar with your hands to control it. Maintaining a flat back and looking forward – not up – descend into a deep knee bend. Without bouncing out of the bottom position, explode upward and press your hips forward to full knee and hip extension. Practice it with light weight first to get the hang of doing it correctly before moving on to more challenging weights.

Incline-Board Reverse Crunch

One of the best ways to train your abs is to hit them from many different angles using a variety of exercises. One of Arnold’s favorite lower-abdominal exercises was the reverse crunch on an incline bench. This advanced exercise is obviously more challenging than its cousin that’s done on the floor because of the incline board, which can be incrementally repositioned to more challenging positions that are steeper. To begin the movement, lie on the bench and grab either the top or sides to prevent your body from sliding down. With a slight bend at the knee and your feet just off the end of the bench, contract your abs to pull your knees over your chest. Lift your butt and lower back a bit off the bench to get a better contraction in the lower abs. Hold for a second and then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position. Make sure the movement is controlled on the way down, keeping the knees slightly bent to avoid lower-back strain.

Smith-Machine Incline Press

During Arnold’s competitive days, he was known for his outstanding pec development. To see Arnold hit a side chest pose was truly awe-inspiring! To get such an impressive chest, Arnold trained smart and used several different exercises to hit his pecs from all angles. One of his secret weapons was the incline Smith-machine press. The beauty of the Smith machine is that it allows you to pack on heavy weights without having to worry about balance, so you can probably lift more than when doing its free-weight barbell counterpart. To begin the movement, set the bench at a 30-40-degree angle (the steeper the bench the higher your target on your pecs, but the more the delts have to work, too). You may need to move the bench up or back a bit within the machine until the bar (in the down position) hits that sweet spot right at the top of your pecs. Lie back squarely on the bench with your feet firmly on the ground. Grab the bar with a pronated grip, hands well outside shoulder width. Unhook the bar and slowly lower to your chest. Reverse direction without bouncing as you press the weight back to full-arm extension, exhaling at the top of the move. Always use good control and be conservative with the amount of weight if you’re new to this exercise.

Lying Lateral Raise

Arnold liked to hit his delts hard and from all angles to make them grow. Although standing lateral raises are the exercise you’ll find most bodybuilders doing when they want to target the middle delt head, Arnold also did a variation by lying on a bench. This exercise is fantastic for working the middle deltoids while also stressing the rear head. It was introduced to him by an old rival, the late Serge Nubret. Doing the lateral raise in a lying position forces the middle delt to work very hard through the entire range of motion, and the bench position reduces body english to make the muscle work ever harder.
To begin, lie on your side on a bench set at a very slight incline with your head raised. Holding onto a dumbbell with one hand, lower until it almost touches the floor. Keeping your arm locked with a very slight bend in the elbow, raise the dumbbell over your head. Remember to twist your hand slightly as you raise your arm and turn your thumb toward the floor to contract the rear delt; the movement should resemble pouring water from a jug.

Seated Cable Row

One of Arnold’s favorite back exercises for overall back development was the seated cable row. This exercise blasts the entire lat area and helps to develop huge thickness, especially in the lower-lat region when using a close-grip handle. To begin the movement, sit with your feet braced against the foot support. With your knees slightly bent, reach forward and grasp the handle using a neutral grip. Sit upright with your arms outstretched, leaning just slightly forward to feel the lats stretch. From this position pull the handle back and into your abdomen. Squeeze your shoulder blades together while keeping your chest out, pulling your elbows back as far as possible. Maintain an upright body position without leaning back too far to reduce the role of your lower-back muscles and to better isolate the back. Allow the weight to pull your arms to full extension. For added variety try using different handle attachments; the long bar is especially good for targeting the upper lats. So hit the gym hard and watch those lats grow!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

Staples in any bodybuilding routine! great read and i def incorporate these in my routines.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Big fan of seated cable rows. I always felt like this was one of the best cable-style movements.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
1morerep
Max Brawn

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

I incorporate today the "Lying Lateral Raise" into my upper body routine. Fit right and feel good!!!

1MOREREP 2014

Last edited by 1morerep; 03-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
I incorporate today the "Lying Lateral Raise" into my upper body routine. Fit right and feel good!!!
I have done these before...for me.....NOTHING hit the rear delt like they did

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
1morerep
Max Brawn

This exercise does work...the funny part is that people try to do 45lbs -50lbs and more in this exercise when 20lbs-25lbs is plenty for most...Is all about technique, form & control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
I have done these before...for me.....NOTHING hit the rear delt like they did

1MOREREP 2014
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
This exercise does work...the funny part is that people try to do 45lbs -50lbs and more in this exercise when 20lbs-25lbs is plenty for most...Is all about technique, form & control...
so true! i love watching this unfold...and then you go and grab half as much weight and you are twice their size and you know they are like wth am i doing wrong how come i can do more than he can but he is way bigger than me..haha

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Thanks for sharing, I like the smith machine idea for the upper pecs. I've never really been good at incline presses with a barbell Or just really weak... Seated cable rows sounds like another good option as well for the lats/back.. I see people at my gym use it but, never thought of using it myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
1morerep
Max Brawn

The Smith-Machine Incline Press may protect you from bad form that you may have in the incline bench. In addition offers a sense of safety that does not exist in the bench (flat, incline, decline). When training alone of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I like the smith machine idea for the upper pecs. I've never really been good at incline presses with a barbell Or just really weak... Seated cable rows sounds like another good option as well for the lats/back.. I see people at my gym use it but, never thought of using it myself.

1MOREREP 2014
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

On the floor too: