Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool Garden Shed Gyms?

A few weeks ago, I saw a Boxer Dude on "U" Tube who had taken a Garden Shed--one of those with a Barn Style Roof and turned it into a Boxing Gym.

It was something like 10'X16' or 12'X20'.

No, obviously he couldn't Spar in his Gym, but he had Speed Bag, Heavy Bag, Double Bag and Upper Cut Bag...

A nice mirror to Shadow Box in front of...

A nice sized piece of Mat for Jumping Rope and a simple Exercise Bench and Weights.

Got me to thinking.

Given a Heavy Duty Concrete Floor--What is the Minimum size Shed for a Pretty Good Powerlifting Gym?

What would be y'all's Minimum Equipment?

Any Innovative Ideas?

Guesstimated Cost?

Just trying to start an interesting conversation, and perhaps learn something.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Minimum size, I'd say would be enough to place the mat/floor coverage area in and a bit to spare; if you consider the Oly size lifting platform areas used in gyms, it's a fair size for quite a bit of ordinary barbell work.

Cost, wouldn't have a clue.

Most people's absolute minimum equipment would be:
Barbell
Adjustable dumbbells
Selection of plates
Bench
Stands and/or rack
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

12'x 12' with uniform 10' or more ceiling, and either two doors, or awindow and a door for air circulation. You could buy a shed that big for around 2000 bucks, pour a concrete floor for maybe 500 bucks depending on if you do it, or part of it, yourself or not.

You need about 6'x6' for your power rack and bench, etc. than about 8x 4 for a deadlifting area, and the leftover for plate storage and shelves for your crap.

Minimum is some sort of cage or rack to squat and bench or press with, maybe pullups too. And a bench of course, adjustable, with leg ext and curls is nice, but not really rock bottom necessary.
Bar, plates, belt and squat shoes. That's the lot to get started.

So maybe 5 grand total for the whole shebang?

That would only be good for one or two guys though. If you want a crew to lift with, you'd need to double that space at least, and have some couches for the lazy guys like JB to loaf on while they do their curls.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

That would only be good for one or two guys though. If you want a crew to lift with, you'd need to double that space at least, and have some couches for the lazy guys like JB to loaf on while they do their curls.
You must have noticed all the chairs in the background of my videos haha

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

This is basically what I have. I train in my 1 car garage. I have 2 bars, 445lb of weights, a rack, a bench, and assorted goodies like chains, a slingshot, and some sawhorses to keep from killing myself.

the rack and bench was $150, the weights were $300, the sawhorses were $40, My roque economy bar was $200, and my chains were $200, but before I got the chains and the better bar I could train just fine with what I had. Powerlifting is a simple sport. If you have what you need to squat, bench, and deadlift, you can train.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Yeah, I lifted in our 2 1/2 car garage as a boy.

I didn't realize what a Treasure that Garage was.

When we were kids and had a Pony, part of the garage became a Stable.

When my mother assayed a brief try at Sign Painting, the Garage was her shop.

When I lifted weights, it was my gym.

Later when we raised Dogs, half of the Garage became a Kennel.

I was nineteen when my family moved, and the Rubes that bought the place thought the Kennel side of the Garage would make "A nice Den for Papa".

Now I live on a crookedy street—all those crooks add up to our backyard being about 1/3 the size of any of the neighbors' back yards.

There's a too-small Garden shed, but it is literally falling down...

And honest, I'd rather have a small Machine Shop than a Home Gym—and I'm unlikely to get either...

But for folks who just have room for a shed—and the Cutter to pay for it—it might be an overlooked possibility.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i'm a miniumlist guy too all i have is squat stands, flat bench with dipping bars, 6ft straight bar, 5ft straight bar, ez curl bar and 3 x adjustable DB bars, chin up bar and 180kg of plates it allows me to squat, bench, deadlift and all the other basic exercises.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

if funds are tight you could build your own rack ?

Starting Strength: Equipment

Homemade power rack made out of wood and pipe..
Wooden Power Rack

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

On my "old forum", there was a guy that trained in his garden shed. It was cool to see him lift big weights, rack them, and see the whole shed shake like an earthquake. He was cramped but it worked.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast

here's a few pics of my Home Gym (Shed & Dog house )
With my home made squat rack/safety bars/ 140kg oly weight set/York bench & adjustable dumbbells

Its pretty much a shelter on the side on my house, I love it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130331_170134_zps4f7f41ec.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	8060   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130331_171140_zpsaa3362f8.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	8061  
syn is offline   Reply With Quote