Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool Peak Contraction Exercises?

Friends,

There are three exercises that I know of, that can be done using this Principle: Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Hyper Extensions—olde school Hyper Extensions with legs parallel to the floor.

The Leg Extensions are the best example.

The Gym Owner had bored a series of holes in the back of his Leg Extension Machine.

A partner stands behind while you lift an empty stack as high as possible. A pin is inserted in the closest hole. Write the hole # down, and you won’t need a partner in the future.

Your job is to just gently touch the pin on each Repetition—Gently, using Momentum and Slamming the pin doesn’t count.

Funny thing is, after three or four reps, your legs will Look Straight at the top. They will Feel Straight at the top. But a quarter inch of slop has crept in somewhere.

{Interestingly enough, this will even happen three or four reps into a twenty-rep set…}

Getting that weight stack high enough to touch the pin requires much Red-Faced Flexing and Straining. I’ve been told that this is the most Muscle-Building part of each rep.

Thing is, even with a Nautilus Leg Extension Machine—which in theory, offers exactly the same resistance throughout the range of motion—if you select to be able to Lock Out each rep, then 85% of the Range Of Motion won’t be Challenging.

I used to solve that dilemma by going heavy and not Locking Out until I really got a good burn going, quickly lowering the weight that I was using, staying in the top 20% of the ROM and Locking each one Out carefully, then when Lockouts failed, doing Burns with that same Weight.

Now Jason says that Leg Extensions are a No-No, because they produce Shear Forces on the Knee…

And I believe him…

But the Principle worked best for Leg Extensions.

What do y’all think of the Principle?

Know any other good Exercises it would work with?

{Hmmm, Triceps Kickbacks—though it is very hard to stand rigidly enough. Still, if you select a weight that you can Lock Out and Hold, it won’t be challenging over most of its range…}

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links