Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamill7 View Post
So are these split squats going to give me similar gains in size and strength to regular squats after time?
They will be superior to using the light weights you'll have to use by cleaning and pressing the weight onto your back. If you clean and press the weight onto your back, the weight would be so light that you'd have to use very high reps to get a good workout, and then getting the weight back off your shoulders gets kind of tricky. If you had a squat rack then the barbell squat would be superior. But really, in the combo I suggested, the deadlift is the real driver anyways. The deadlift will allow you ti lift very heavy and will strengthen all the muscles the squat would. The split squats just add some extra quad work which the deadlift isn't the best at. And finally, a unilateral leg exercise can be very beneficial to athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamill7 View Post
And ah i see, i can't think of anywhere i can hang from to do them off the top of my head, would the side of two chairs be okay ?
I used the backs of dining room chairs for a few years.

But this is all just my opinion and I'm not the final word on what to do. I just thought you were looking for alternatives. If you like the clean, press, and squat, then by all means keep at it. And if you prefer the push-ups, do those too.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

another good thing to get hold of is a heavy bag, the heavy bag is a awesome for stamina specially for fighting arts.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

I've had some experience with modified "equipment" and being on a budget. Try to get your hands on some Coke/Pepsi plastic crates. I used to use 3-4 per side and tied them with rope, bungee cords, etc (for stability). I used to do dips quite well with them.

Squats are going to be trickier. The deadlift/split squat combo is definitely a good way to go. The split squats offer many ways to load weight. Heavy dumbells, weighted backpack, and even the weight that you clean up to your shoulders would be fairly heavy for split squats.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Have you tried just incorporating the clean into you program? After you complete it you could always do a couple of front squats before lowering the weight again. You can progressively load the weight as well, and most people find that it helps their deadlift as well.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Rhamill7
New Brawn
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 4 Day Split
Rhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good start

That thought occurred to me actually, I was thinking of incorporating a clean and then do some front squats one day, then do back squats another day by using the clean and jerk method with the lowering part. I have a few thoughts that it's the technique that I'm using which is causing the pain in my elbows but i'll try it all and see what works for me.

Quick question. What do you guys do as a warm up? Do you do a whole body warm up before the entire workout or just do each exercise with hardly any weight and then build up to you're actual sets?

Thanks guys!
Rhamill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Personally I use a full body warmup followed by light working sets for my main exercise to prepare for whatever the plan for the day is.

I know there are people in different camps that will do stretching/movements that a particular for what they are doing that day, but it just depends on who you talk to.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Rhamill7
New Brawn
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 4 Day Split
Rhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good start

Good news everyone! I managed to take some money from my savings and bought a second hand squat rack for half the price it would be new!

That solves my squatting problems For my chest i tried the chest press on my multi gym and it felt good, i then tried dips on the dip bars on my new squat rack (practically doubles it's worth ) and that was much more difficult than the chest press as it is far more compound, i also found it very difficult, i'll check on the forum for dip form videos as i felt some pain in my lower back while doing them but it's looking better for my workouts

For my workout tonight i went and tried doing a light full body warm up followed by lighter sets of exercises as you suggested shorts! it felt pretty good
Rhamill7 is offline   Reply With Quote