Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Pre workout protein

At the moment I'm just having 1/2 a cup of oats 30-45 mins before my workout.
Is this all I need? Or do I have to get some protein in too.
I don't think I could stomach a shake pre workout though.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
At the moment I'm just having 1/2 a cup of oats 30-45 mins before my workout.
Is this all I need? Or do I have to get some protein in too.
I don't think I could stomach a shake pre workout though.
i would try to eat a small meal 45min-1h before training if you can.

with protein , and carbs from fruit or veg and dont forgot you fats.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

I like to work out about an hour after a meal. Might just be "bro-science" but it seems to work.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like to eat.
That is all
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

But seriously, I don't think it matters all that much. I see guys on here training in a fasted state early in the morning. They seem to be getting along just fine as long as their total calories for the day are giving them what they need.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I just have normal meals and time the workouts around them; I have to say though, if a meal is big or slow digesting, squatting is no fun at all...I learned my lesson on that one.

Try something and if it works for you then stick with it, as said, some train fasted as well; it's not a bad idea to track pre-workout food and timing in your log somewhere, that way you can gauge any changes you make and any reactions you have in relation to either food volume or new food as well as the timing of it and how it does or does not affect set exercises...for example, you may be fine with a heavier meal prior to a predominantly upperbody workout but it may be a very bad move before a squat/deadlift style session.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn

leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
I like to work out about an hour after a meal. Might just be "bro-science" but it seems to work.
me to, i dont like to lift on a empty stomach i get to hungery through a workout then i have to stop and eat.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Thanks for the comments.
Is the pre workout meal strictly for energy then? Or does it have some part in muscle growth?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I just have normal meals and time the workouts around them; I have to say though, if a meal is big or slow digesting, squatting is no fun at all...I learned my lesson on that one.

Try something and if it works for you then stick with it, as said, some train fasted as well; it's not a bad idea to track pre-workout food and timing in your log somewhere, that way you can gauge any changes you make and any reactions you have in relation to either food volume or new food as well as the timing of it and how it does or does not affect set exercises...for example, you may be fine with a heavier meal prior to a predominantly upperbody workout but it may be a very bad move before a squat/deadlift style session.

Yeah, good idea.
I don't do too well with allot of food in my stomach, especially liquid which was why I didn't want to take a protein shake pre workout.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
leefarley
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Thanks for the comments.
Is the pre workout meal strictly for energy then? Or does it have some part in muscle growth?
some say it helps muscle building,

i eat pre workout more for fuel, like 5kg said time your meals around your workout that is what i normally do if i lift at night then normally i have eating 3-4 times through the day so come lifting time i am nicely fueled up.