Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I hear you.
I'm not looking for a quick fix by any means.
I want to do this properly, and I'm well aware it takes time.
I just really, don't want to screw this up with my friend, who I'm hoping to make my girlfriend.
You've already noticed my ocd type mindset.
So I have, 2 important things in my life, my ambition as a weightlifter, and a relationship with the girl I've had a crush on for 3 years.
I don't want to mess either of them up,
It seems I have to do one or the other, and that really, really sucks.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I highly doubt you maintain at this level. That aside, you are a teen. You should not be counting calories. You need to get strong and eat to satiety right now. If the scale isn't moving, eat a bit more.

Learning to listen to the needs of your body is a priority, not counting calories.

Thats what the calculators said, how do I work out the real figure then in that case?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I hear you.
I just really, don't want to screw this up with my friend, who I'm hoping to make my girlfriend.
So I have, 2 important things in my life, my ambition as a weightlifter, and a relationship with the girl I've had a crush on for 3 years.
You don't have to do either or, really. A bulk, is as fast or as slow as a person chooses it to be, you can do a slower bulk than some may suggest which means slower gains (possibly) but steady and minimal or no fat gain (at least for some and for a while with newcomers to weights). All suggestions are for you to consider and decide upon.

There is also the 2-weeks bulk, 2-weeks cut cycle that can be used, someone can point you in the right direction for an article on that I'm sure, but it all comes down to eating a little more for gains and a little less for losses...some choose to, eat considerably more than others, some not so much, but essentially, if you watch your body and note what it's telling you, it's possible to add a little more if things aren't going how or as fast as you want them to and deduct if they're progressing at a rate you don't want and so forth.

But...you can most definitely have both.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
I hear you.
you need to stop stressing it all, just chill have fun, if this bird dosent except you for who you are is she worth it.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
I hear you.
How so? We're not telling you to get fat and sloppy. I think you'll be surprised at how you'll look. If you gain both muscle and fat, you'll still look great, and you'll feel great too. And anyways, you shouldn't have to be someone you're not for a girl. When you meet a good woman she won't care if you gain a few lb, and you'll blow her away once you put some muscle on.

I wish I could go back to my youth and not worry so much about the ladies. They aren't going anywhere, and you're only going to look better with each passing day.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Thats what the calculators said, how do I work out the real figure then in that case?
The calculators only take in your current body weight to decide what your maintenance calories will be. You're young, which means you'll naturally be burning far more calories than someone who is older.

That's why it's important to monitor and adjust. Eventually you'll know well what works for you.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
You don't have to do either or, really. A bulk, is as fast or as slow as a person chooses it to be, you can do a slower bulk than some may suggest which means slower gains (possibly) but steady and minimal or no fat gain (at least for some and for a while with newcomers to weights). All suggestions are for you to consider and decide upon.

There is also the 2-weeks bulk, 2-weeks cut cycle that can be used, someone can point you in the right direction for an article on that I'm sure, but it all comes down to eating a little more for gains and a little less for losses...some choose to, eat considerably more than others, some not so much, but essentially, if you watch your body and note what it's telling you, it's possible to add a little more if things aren't going how or as fast as you want them to and deduct if they're progressing at a rate you don't want and so forth.

But...you can most definitely have both.

That sounds good. I could do that for a while, and then after we'd been to Spain I could go into an all out bulk.
Maybe I could do a 3 month bulk and a 1 month cut.
Could this ruin my noobie gains though if I did these mini bulks?
Would I have it really hard to build muscle after that?

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-17-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Could this ruin my noobie gains though if I did these mini bulks?
Would I have it really hard to build muscle after that?
No.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It is easy for some folks to undereat and shoot their gains in the foot.
i hope he listens to you because this ^ is what happened to me for years. i started out at 140 lbs. after noob gains, i barely made any strength/size progress at all over the years (except to develop good form). i was limiting myself to under 2,500 calories a day, and for long stretches of time, i was eating under 2k. i thought that if the % of protein was high, i would still make progress. nope: your total calories need to be high as well.

but more than that, i think for skinnies like us, we need to overcome the mentality of precise measurements and worrying about fat gain. yes, concerns over fat gain are legitimate, but if you've never been scrawny, you don't know how a scrawny guy thinks. we don't think about fat gain or caloric intake in a logical way, it's all a fear response to the prospect of becoming a fat p.o.s.:

we will err on the side of eating too little and staying scrawny than eating a little too much and gaining some fat. i don't mean to sound negative, but it wouldn't surprise me if the OP has a panic attack when his waist size goes up from a 29 to a 31, reverts back to <2k, and paralyzes his gains. i personally don't believe there's a precise, scientific way for an average 131 lb. individual to make consistent linear progress to 180 lbs. without gaining a reasonable amount of fat. it's such a huge gap in terms of strength and mass, and i don't think you can get there by being overly precise and scientific.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
i hope he listens to you because this ^ is what happened to me for years. i started out at 140 lbs. after noob gains, i barely made any strength/size progress at all over the years (except to develop good form). i was limiting myself to under 2,500 calories a day, and for long stretches of time, i was eating under 2k. i thought that if the % of protein was high, i would still make progress. nope: your total calories need to be high as well.

but more than that, i think for skinnies like us, we need to overcome the mentality of precise measurements and worrying about fat gain. yes, concerns over fat gain are legitimate, but if you've never been scrawny, you don't know how a scrawny guy thinks. we don't think about fat gain or caloric intake in a logical way, it's all a fear response to the prospect of becoming a fat p.o.s.:

we will err on the side of eating too little and staying scrawny than eating a little too much and gaining some fat. i don't mean to sound negative, but it wouldn't surprise me if the OP has a panic attack when his waist size goes up from a 29 to a 31, reverts back to <2k, and paralyzes his gains. i personally don't believe there's a precise, scientific way for an average 131 lb. individual to make consistent linear progress to 180 lbs. without gaining a reasonable amount of fat. it's such a huge gap in terms of strength and mass, and i don't think you can get there by being overly precise and scientific.

Got it in one there.
Glad I found you guys or that might have happened.
I know this now though, so hopefully I wont make this mistake.
I think I should try this couple month bulk, couple months cut.
That way, I look good for Spain, and I can focus on an all out bulk when I get back.
I'm actually even skinnier than that :L 123 lbs is my current weight. 131 would be where I thought I'd be after bulking 4 months.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-17-2013 at 04:54 PM.