Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #41
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
And thats the thing, I have no insane goals like a pro bodybuilder would, nor the ones a powerlifter would either.
I want to do this because I enjoy it. Get stronger and look good in the process.
The over analysis of everythings is making me forget why I want to do this in the first place, its crazy :P
And, that's the reason to just pick a plan (training routine) or go back to one that you already did and get into the gym...just lift.

For bulking, or adding lean mass, eat a little extra, if not enough to see some gain (on the scales or visually) add a little more a couple of weeks later; if wanting to lose weight, deduct a little food. Mostly, if people are on a semi-healthy diet already, then adding a bit more will generally mean that a person may add accross the board by eating a little extra of all food groups, so it works quite well. At a later stage, you can always reassess, even if that's only 3 months away, and smaller tweaks along the way always seem to work a lot better than major overhauls, at least for most people anyway.

But, the important thing is to not lose the enjoyment of lifting and wanting to lift, that's the one thing that destroys all good plans.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #42
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Ok, so I think I have it nailed down for monday which is when I'm starting this bulking phase.
Work out how many calories to eat through trial and error, until I start gaining a pound a week.
Eat clean foods, and lift heavy, aiming to increase the weight on the bar every workout.

However, I'd still like to know more about the fat to muscle ratio when bulking 1 pound per week.
How much of this is going to be muscle, and how much is going to be fat?
If I know this, I can estimate what stage I'll be at and how I look throughout the year.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
Boom
Brawn
Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

Those are answers you're going to have to find out on your own through experience.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Ok, so I think I have it nailed down for monday which is when I'm starting this bulking phase.
Work out how many calories to eat through trial and error, until I start gaining a pound a week.
Eat clean foods, and lift heavy, aiming to increase the weight on the bar every workout.

However, I'd still like to know more about the fat to muscle ratio when bulking 1 pound per week.
How much of this is going to be muscle, and how much is going to be fat?
If I know this, I can estimate what stage I'll be at and how I look throughout the year.
I'm not even sure that there's a way to work that out; I tend to drop fat and gain lean mass at the same time (either one of the lucky few or just have everything spot on by accident), but since I drop one and gain the other, simultaneously, there is no fat gain to take into account.

For a beginner, eating just above what they need (a couple to a few hundred cals), most will be a lean mass gain with either neglible fat gain or a fat drop. Only really excessive eating will see massive fat gain and more so if done without any exercise etc, however, intense sessions can offset even a really hefty intake which is why monitoring the intake and the changes or non-changes are important.

Take pictures and assess that way, oh and use a tape measure (biceps, chest, waist...minimum) track them once a month, along with pics and scal readings, to get an overal picture of what is occuring. After a while the brain/perception will adapt to the changes that have happened in your appearance and you won't necessarily see them any more, but photos of 3 months apart compared alongside one another show what is going on and the changes that are occuring.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I'm not even sure that there's a way to work that out; I tend to drop fat and gain lean mass at the same time (either one of the lucky few or just have everything spot on by accident), but since I drop one and gain the other, simultaneously, there is no fat gain to take into account.

For a beginner, eating just above what they need (a couple to a few hundred cals), most will be a lean mass gain with either neglible fat gain or a fat drop. Only really excessive eating will see massive fat gain and more so if done without any exercise etc, however, intense sessions can offset even a really hefty intake which is why monitoring the intake and the changes or non-changes are important.

Take pictures and assess that way, oh and use a tape measure (biceps, chest, waist...minimum) track them once a month, along with pics and scal readings, to get an overal picture of what is occuring. After a while the brain/perception will adapt to the changes that have happened in your appearance and you won't necessarily see them any more, but photos of 3 months apart compared alongside one another show what is going on and the changes that are occuring.

Wow, you are lucky! Never heard of anyone not gaining any fat.

I thought there was some way to calculate how much muscle and fat you were getting from that pound or over each week.

If the fat gains are normally neglible then thats great. I don't really have anything to worry about.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #46
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Wow, you are lucky! Never heard of anyone not gaining any fat.

I thought there was some way to calculate how much muscle and fat you were getting from that pound or over each week.

If the fat gains are normally neglible then thats great. I don't really have anything to worry about.
Some people tend to be lucky or just have it spot on; I was surprised because I had little bodyfat to drop when I started with weights, having started with cardio only when getting fit, but still saw a drop in bodyfat, obviously since there was less to lose, it was a minimal drop but certainly no gain in it.

There may be ways to calculate muslce to fat gain/loss ratio but since everybody's metabolism is slightly different and will also vary quite considerably with the sort of training they're doing, there are so many variables that it's just easier to watch and see what occurs...it's more fun too If you assume what may occur, then disappointment looms large, on the other hand if you just see what changes, surprise and achievement is mostly what lay ahead of you.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #47
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Some people tend to be lucky or just have it spot on; I was surprised because I had little bodyfat to drop when I started with weights, having started with cardio only when getting fit, but still saw a drop in bodyfat, obviously since there was less to lose, it was a minimal drop but certainly no gain in it.

There may be ways to calculate muslce to fat gain/loss ratio but since everybody's metabolism is slightly different and will also vary quite considerably with the sort of training they're doing, there are so many variables that it's just easier to watch and see what occurs...it's more fun too If you assume what may occur, then disappointment looms large, on the other hand if you just see what changes, surprise and achievement is mostly what lay ahead of you.

Damn ,everyone here talks such sense.
This forum was a God send.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #48
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

So how do I structure this?
Some say 1lb a week, some say 1lb a month.
I'll need a gaol in mind or I won't know where I stand.

1lb a week = 16lb in 4 months. If it were a ratio of 1:1, I'd have roughly 8lb fat gain, 8lb muscle

1lb a month = 4 pounds in 4 months. 2 pounds of fat. 2 of muscle.

Confusing.
I think this is for once something important I'm worrying about.
I need to figure this out to know how much to eat.

at 125 pounds, I'm skinny I know.
Healthy weight for a 16 year old at 5ft10 is around 135, to 145 pounds think.
So in theory, even if I did gain 16 pounds, at 1lb a week, I shouldn't look fat?

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
Boom
Brawn
Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

It's not confusing. Just eat and lift. That's all you need to do right now. You'll figure it out as you go. I promise.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #50
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
So how do I structure this?
Some say 1lb a week, some say 1lb a month.
I'll need a gaol in mind or I won't know where I stand.

1lb a week = 16lb in 4 months. If it were a ratio of 1:1, I'd have roughly 8lb fat gain, 8lb muscle

1lb a month = 4 pounds in 4 months. 2 pounds of fat. 2 of muscle.

Confusing.
I think this is for once something important I'm worrying about.
I need to figure this out to know how much to eat.

at 125 pounds, I'm skinny I know.
Healthy weight for a 16 year old at 5ft10 is around 135, to 145 pounds think.
So in theory, even if I did gain 16 pounds, at 1lb a week, I shouldn't look fat?
mate you are going no where you are spinning your wheels again, you going to have to gain some fat to maximize muscle building, your choice do it or don't. Ask the bearded beast of duloc in is question thread and if you are still confused after his answer, then i don't know who can help you find the answer you are looking for.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote