Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Question Carb cycling?

When I asked a question about calories and how many I should consume each day.
Some of you suggested what I now know is called carb cycling.
Have high carbs on workout days, and less on rest days.
So I think I'm going to go for it.

I can't find much information on this, but I was wondering what the benefits actually are for eating the same amount of calories, everyday is?
Will you build more muscle eating above maintenance everyday, as apposed to only eating more carbs on your workout days?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

First, you have to separate calories and carbohydrates, they are two completely different things.

While rotating carbohydrate consumption, calorie consumption does not have to decrease.

I kind of wished I'd never mentioned it to you, you seem to be stuck in OCD mode and getting bogged down.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

See if this helps any.

T NATION | Carb Cycling for Idiots

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Thanks for that.
From that article, it actually looks like I'd be better just doing a traditional bulk.
It says in there that carb cycling is more fine tuning, sort of like a happy medium between muscle building and fat lass. You'll lose weight and build muscle more slowly.
With the traditional bulk, you build muscle faster, with abit more fat gained in the process.
As long as doing a traditional bulk isn't going to make me look fat then thats fine.
Hopefully the muscle I do build wont make any fat I gain look as bad.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Thanks for that.
From that article, it actually looks like I'd be better just doing a traditional bulk.
It says in there that carb cycling is more fine tuning, sort of like a happy medium between muscle building and fat lass. You'll lose weight and build muscle more slowly.
With the traditional bulk, you build muscle faster, with abit more fat gained in the process.
As long as doing a traditional bulk isn't going to make me look fat then thats fine.
Hopefully the muscle I do build wont make any fat I gain look as bad.
I know it has been said before, if you are going to do a bulk, expect some fat. If you want to do a "lean bulk," realize that less fat will also mean less muscle. I agree with OR, you are way over thinking this.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Ok, well I guess I'll stick to the traditional bulk for now.
I agree, I am over thinking.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Ok, well I guess I'll stick to the traditional bulk for now.
I agree, I am over thinking.
Just EAT, already!!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Why is it you would build more muscle if you were on a regular bulk then? Why is do you build muscle more slowly with carb cycling if the carbs you consume are for energy?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Carb cycling isn't the answer, macro cycling is. When cycling macros the calories remain pretty consistent. If you'd oil up the hinges on your wallet and fork over $10.00 to Shelby, it would all make sense. Until then, stop reading all the contradictory crap on the internet; it just has you confused.

Don't worry about "This Method" vs. "That Method"

As long as you are gaining weight slowly and adding plates to the bar every month, there is nothing to worry about. If you gain too quickly, cut back a bit. If you aren't gaining, bump it up a bit. Simple.

Just get busy eating and lifting and leave the scientific crap for when you are big and strong. The first year or so you should be able to make gains even if you do everything wrong as long as you work hard enough and eat enough.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Carb cycling isn't the answer, macro cycling is. When cycling macros the calories remain pretty consistent. If you'd oil up the hinges on your wallet and fork over $10.00 to Shelby, it would all make sense. Until then, stop reading all the contradictory crap on the internet; it just has you confused.

Don't worry about "This Method" vs. "That Method"

As long as you are gaining weight slowly and adding plates to the bar every month, there is nothing to worry about. If you gain too quickly, cut back a bit. If you aren't gaining, bump it up a bit. Simple.

Just get busy eating and lifting and leave the scientific crap for when you are big and strong. The first year or so you should be able to make gains even if you do everything wrong as long as you work hard enough and eat enough.

I had a look at the book, but I'm in the UK I can't find anywhere else to buy it.

I'll tell you how it is.
I'll sound like an idiot here, but this is why I'm pondering which option to go for.
There's this girl I've liked for years, she likes me too, and she's invited me to go to the Canary Islands with her in July.

Its kind of a big chance for me, and while my fitness goals are very important, this is all I can think about at the moment.
I'm in my final year of school, and decided to be home schooled by my mum who's a teacher. The schools ethos sucks, and is rapidly gone down hill from been one of the best, to one of the worst due to a change in headship and staff.
I've been going here there and everywhere since I left doing exams, and haven't seen her in ages because I've been out of town.
We speak everyday, and were both really missing each other, she's like my best friend.
So, this summer as I said were going to the Canary Islands, which is where half my family comes from, and its a chance to make things happen, with all the exams and stress out of the way.

Obviously though, I want to look my best, rather than been half way through a bulk looking podgy, on an island thats predominantly beaches.
I'd be incredibly self conscious the whole time.

I know you say I wont get fat on a bulk, but I'll still gain some fat. Particularly I'm worried about it being noticed on my face.
If she asks me "have you put on weight" I think I'll die.
Yes, I believe you all when you day I wont get fat, but maybe there will be a noticeable difference even if its slight?
Please don't laugh at me guys :P
I know it will sound silly, but thats why I'm trying to gauge this right.