Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
SmallBeast
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SmallBeast is off to a good startSmallBeast is off to a good startSmallBeast is off to a good start
Default What to do, follow, aim for?

This is the first forum i have ever joined in my life, and i am very honord to have done so. I really love getting bigger and stronger, problem is i am very confused and i change my goals very often which impacts my gains. I want to be super strong ( i am advanced for my age according to numerous sources), i am 185lb and bf from 8-10.. I just want to be like greg plitt for exmaple, perfect size and strong ( my opinion) but i dont know how to go about doing so.. do i keep lifting heavy for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, or go for myofibrillar hypertrophy... on top of all that, i have large legs, calves, abs are visble and strogn, back is formed BUT my tricep and chest are terrible... my trice is probly 1/3 of my arm (when its suppose to be 2/3) and my chest never looked tonned, never got the curl from bottom, with nice dense look. ( even though i lift heavy and proper form on it, and lowered body fat % to 7.2% at 177 lb... i am doing the Strength and density program now. and i love it,, i feel amazing pain, and i feel strong. i worked trice on one of my rest days hoping it helps... any opinions, advice that could just set my mind to one goal at a time at least.

I am 19 years old. My 1RM for deadlift is 405 ( Mac I tried), my squats I do 315lb for 6 ( I am not sure of my 1rm) my bench, 225 for 3 reps. And I am 5'11". And to be honest I used to workout out when I was 15-16 1/2 but I didn't go to the gym from 16 to 18, got back to pure cardio June 2012- August(1 month) and started lifting weights from August - November(3months)... Took gym off due to personal reasons,, got back last week( took 3 months off)( during the 3 month I probly went to the gym 10 times to work out. I have good genetic, I dnt gain fat fast. Mesomorph body type
SmallBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

keep doing what you are doing sounds like it is working.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

welcome to the forum! first, you should start a training log. you'll get a lot of useful feedback from very experienced lifters.
second, you might want to direct your question to BtB, the owner of the forum and a big powerlifter who also does a daily YouTube segment answering people's questions: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/q/12655-q-bbod.html
third, i'm not sure how useful it is to think in terms of "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" and "myofibrillar hypertrophy." a lot of people throw around these terms as if the processes are very well known, well researched, and proven. they're actually very highly debated. to me -- and i'm no one special -- it just doesn't seem like a real goal.

is your training goal just to get bigger?
what has your training been like in the past?
have you considered starting off with a routine that worked for you in the past?
what's your diet like? do you know your exact total calories? what is your goal intake?

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-09-2013 at 10:21 AM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

You have tons of potential. You could compete in whatever you choose, whether that be bodybuilding or powerlifting, or a combination of the two. Honestly, I'm interested in seeing a picture of your current state.

If you like your program and like the results your getting, stick with it. As for your chest and tris, triceps usually like really heavy weights and low reps to get big. Look into partial bench presses like board presses. Also, dips are awesome for both chest and tris. With your strength you'll need to add weight because you'll want to keep your reps low, around 3-6.

As for your changing goals, if you make your main goal to get as strong as possible, then you'll be setting yourself up for success in just about any athletic endevor you choose to take on down the line.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To be like Plitt you need to understand his journey. He spent years building muscle. Now he focuses on staying lean 24/7. He didn't accomplish both at the same time.

I work with many top fitness models. They all have the same story.

You have to focus your goals. Be willing to spend several years building. After that point you will have years to maintain like Plitt and other models.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
SmallBeast

SmallBeast is off to a good startSmallBeast is off to a good startSmallBeast is off to a good start

My training goal is yet to be known. Strength/density or size and aesthetic. I love being able to perform well while looking good.
My training since i got back was pure compound training, to build overall muscle and burn fat.

I am currently doing steve shows "Strength and Density" program, and i honestly love it. ( im incorporating a triceps day on one of my rest days).

In regards to my calories, i use myfitnesspal and i actually count calories and i make healthy decision to meet both macros/micros.

I am going to continue with this workout program, i just wanted to inquire on one thing. Is size achieved through heavy weight and low reps? ( i thought that was density/strength). Whats the range of sets and reps for each goal?

Ps. Thank you all for taken some of your valuable time to read this, i high appreciate your feed back. Also, thanks to your responses i am more determined on continuing to do what im currently doing and that is to continue being strong and follow BTB strength and density program. Just one last question ( will this program only make me stronger and denser, or will it allow my arms to grow for example? if not should i add more isolation workouts?

thank you again
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Firstly, isolation work is not what builds huge arms, just like leg extensions don't build huge quads. Squats build huge quads, and the same goes for your arms. Heavy pulling, rowing, and pullup variations build huge biceps, and heavy pushing builds triceps. But that's not to say that isolation work is useless! I'm not currently doing any isolation work for my triceps (heavy benching takes care of that side), but I'm doing high volume work on my biceps. Twice a week, on my upper body days, I finish with 10x10 curls supersetted with 10x10 weighted situps.

If you DO feel the need to isolate your tris, still keep the weights heavy and the reps low. That's just what triceps like. One of my favorite triceps movements is incline close grip benching. Close grip work is awesome for triceps because you can still keep the weights heavy, but don't bring your hands any closer than just inside shoulder width. Any closer and your just asking to mess up your wrists.

I'm not a fan of the smith machine, but you can't argue with Dave Tate;

As for hypertrophy, yes, low reps and heavy weight definitely can build size. BUT, its not the best option for everybody. If you look at how bodybuilders train, the rep ranges they use varies greatly. Some focus on low reps, some on higher reps. When you're talking about size, you're talking about stimulating as many muscle fibers as possible. When you lift weight, your CNS only wants to use as many muscle fibers as it needs. The only way you can get as many fibers as possible to get in the game is to force your CNS to fire all of them. You can either do this by lifting as heavy as possible (training with higher intensity*), or by lifting slightly lighter weights over and over, until the original muscle fibers are exhausted and your body has to recruit the ones that haven't started firing yet (high volume training).

Usually, intensity and volume have an inverse relationship. If you have more of one, you have less of the other. Through experimentation you'll want to find out what ratio of intensity to volume works for you. At the moment I'm doing 4 sessions a week, 2 upper, 2 lower. 2 days a week I use mid intensity, mid volume, then the other 2 I use higher volume and lower intensity. Before this I was training every day (high frequency), but my volume was low and my intensity was mostly high.

As you continue to train you'll use different programs. You'll want to monitor your progress on each one, and give each one time to see if it's working. If it is, you'll add it to your bag of tricks. If it isn't giving you what you want at the time, you can disregard the program. This is why it's important to know the principles behind the program you're using. By understanding what you're doing, you'll have a much better grasp of what programs will work in the future.

*When talking programming, intensity means the ratio of the weight lifted to your 1rm. If your max is 300lb and your average lift for a session is 270, then you've trained with 90% instensity, which would be considered high. Obviously, the higher intensity you train with, the less reps you'll be able to do, hence the inverse relationship I refrenced earlier.

Last edited by Soldier; 03-10-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Hard question; What causes the muscle to grow and get stronger?

Simple answer; Lifting more and more weight, or getting more reps with the same weight.

Low reps, moderate reps, and even high reps build strength and size. The strongest guys in the world use all different rep ranges in their training, so should you. The easiest way to program that is to start with a weight that allows high reps and over time add weight until only low reps can be achieved. Or the opposite approach works well too, double progression where you pick a weight that allows 5 or 6 reps and stick with it until you can achieve 12 reps with it. Then increase the weight enough to drop the reps back down to 5 or 6 and progress again. As you get more advanced you will have to program high rep cycles and low rep cycles or low rep big lifts followed by high rep assistance lifts. Many ways to skin a cat, just find a way you like and believe in.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

whats this "maintain" stuff? theres a "big enough"??? since when!?!?!
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
SmallBeast

Currently at this stage! latest pictures are the ones on the right! I am gunnah continue to grow strong! i will do whatever keep trying different types of programs and i am sure something will work and i will get to my goal!

/Users/mustafaghassan/Desktop/photo-2 copy.JPG