Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Reefboy1980
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts
Default Little Help

I'm currently on a cut trying to shed some BF, i'm currently doing the SL 5x5 but since cutting my muscles are taking longer to recover. Whilst cutting should i think about only training twice a week to give my muscles more time to recover until my cut has finished giving me more time to do somemore low impact cardio.
I'm hopeful that another 4 weeks & i'll be able to start slowly bulking. I just want to lose this stubbon BF so i've got a clean slate to start from.
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
I'm currently on a cut trying to shed some BF, i'm currently doing the SL 5x5 but since cutting my muscles are taking longer to recover. Whilst cutting should i think about only training twice a week to give my muscles more time to recover until my cut has finished giving me more time to do somemore low impact cardio.
I'm hopeful that another 4 weeks & i'll be able to start slowly bulking. I just want to lose this stubbon BF so i've got a clean slate to start from.
I like your plan. Get to an acceptable BF level, then bulk up in a cotrolled manner. It's the best way to maximize muscle and minimize fat gain if you ask me.

My first advice would be that if you find you don't have the energy to do both the lifting and cardio you want to do, cut cardio first. Lifting burns more calories in the long run, and also gives your body more of a reason to KEEP muscle, instead of cardio which is muscle wasting.

When you're cutting, progression becomes tough. When you're cutting, the goal is to keep muscle and strength. If you can cut fat and keep the same strength you had at the beginning, you've succeeded. I'd suggest that you cut cardio, keep your program the same, and TRY to keep adding weight to the bar, but don't worry about it if you don't.

Once you're done cutting, then you can start adding in extra calories, which will let you start adding weight to the bar again, and muscle to your body.

Also, if you want to maximize recovery, get yourself some BCAA's, and take a crapload of them. Drink water throughout the day, and put some BCAA's in it. Focus your carb intake around your workouts. The carbs right before training will give you energy to get through the session, and the carbs right after will maximize recovery. Get plenty of protein. That will also help with keeping muscle and strength, and also help you feel full during your cut.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like Soldier's advice, a lot.

But you can also look at it a different way. . .
Keep the 3 days a week of cardio/conditioning and drop lifting to 2 days a week. This is plenty of lifting (if intense) to maintain or build muscle/strength, especially on a caloric deficit. When you have cut your body fat down to desired levels, simply swap a conditioning day for another lifting day (2 cardio, 3 lifting). That way you'll utilize the extra conditioning you've built and can focus more on weight progression.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Reefboy1980
Brawn

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

I'm still gaining strength & my workouts are intense maybe too intense which is why i'm struggling with 3 days lifting. i'm adding weight every session if my last session was a success. I've never done any conditioning work so what would this entail?
When i do cardio it's low impact so i don't tax my muscles any more than they have been for example 1 hour on the treadmill walking on the highest incline or 45 mins on the cross trainer is my cardio regieme
I'm loosing the weight slow & steady, averaging a 1lb a week for the last 10 weeks
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
I'm still gaining strength & my workouts are intense maybe too intense which is why i'm struggling with 3 days lifting. i'm adding weight every session if my last session was a success. I've never done any conditioning work so what would this entail?
When i do cardio it's low impact so i don't tax my muscles any more than they have been for example 1 hour on the treadmill walking on the highest incline or 45 mins on the cross trainer is my cardio regieme
I'm loosing the weight slow & steady, averaging a 1lb a week for the last 10 weeks
In that case, I'd stick to the plan and take Soldier's advice, it seems like it's working for you.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Reefboy1980
Brawn

It is working but i'm just sore, it seems because of this deficit my body doesn't recover enough to hit it hard 48 hrs later unless i do a lighter workout?
I'm not sure if i could get better results by dropping one workout & giving my muscles more time to recover & hit more low impact cardio
If i'm doing SL 5x5 what would a conditioning workout be?
For the record i'd much rather do weights than cardio, i dislike cardio & once i've hit my desired BF & hit a calorie surplus i won't be doing any cardio unless i need extra help shifting some BF