Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Well I don't believe that

Jason Blaha from Facebook:

Quote:
Theories as to why the layperson says "well I don't believe that" when you try to explain to them that weight training is, scientifically speaking, probably the single most powerful preventative measure you can take to reduce the chances of cancer, diabetus, osteoporosis and joint degeneration? Failure to understand human phisiology? Or why they try to talk about "exercise" when we are specifically talking about weight TRAINING in this context? Failure to understand that excercise and training do not mean the same thing and weight training has very specific adaptations in the body that cannot be accomplished with "exercise"? Discuss.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My 2 cents:

They lack what most lack: an understanding of the process. Bodybuilding mags ignored most process mechanisms the last 40 years, instead opting to give lifters a "to do" list. "Here are things to do in the gym." 20 men will work 3 sets x 8-12 differently. Most, lacking an understanding about how to make these numbers yield gains, because they were not provided with such information, will fail. They will go exercise.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

The other issue (and we are bad at this in America) is we like to use words interchangeably, even when their meanings aren't exactly similar.

In my opinion, if you are weight training, you are exercising. If you are jogging, you are exercising. If you are lifting, you are exercising. If you are kayaking or hiking, you are exercising. Many things can be categorized as exercising.

What people don't understand is that weight training is far more than just what you do while you are in the gym. It's also about what you eat, how you hydrate, and how you rest. This makes it far more specific than just exercise.

If I wanted to increase cardiovascular endurance, I would get on the treadmill or elliptical 3-5 times a week and exercise. I don't have to "train" to get better. I simply will get better by exercising.

The same isn't true of weight training. Weight training requires the deliberate planning on increased tension/volume supported by adequate diet in order to result in specific changes that haphazard exercise can't provide.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I completely agree with you MC, except that conditioning can also be brought into the "training" realm if you have a goal and use it progressively.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

middle-class Anglo-American culture is built on (among many other ideals) the Protestant-Puritan value of self-understanding and self-interpretation. but whereas in an earlier time period, this value was paired with intense desire to read and learn, it has degraded from learned self-confidence to ignorant stubbornness.
many people seem to use knowledge as a means to something else, like authority, and don't really care about actual learning. once they reach the level where they feel authoritative, they close off all other possible interpretations and become entrenched, ready to defend their false authority to the death.

it's the authority and self-confidence they're afraid of losing, not the incomplete understanding. their mistake is in thinking that knowledge is static like a rock instead of living and dynamic like an organism.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

I also agree with what you guys have said. To me exercise = activity of any kind. Training (weight or conditioning) = a more goal oriented and focused approach.

I was talking to my uncle about working out and getting into better shape/health, and mentioned the word "toning" (with BTB's How to Tone thread in mind). He jumped all over it and said "that's what I want to do". It's amazing to me how so many people automatically associate weight training with steroids, and big bulked up bodybuilders - saying "I don't want to get too bulky" - I guess all these people must have naturally extremely high test levels. I reply with my own example, and ask them if I look like those bodybuilders...I've been weight training for a few years now and am leaner and MUCH STRONGER than before I started (and carrying a lot more muscle). I even try to explain to them that you can use resistance training for cardio, but usually get a dismissive attitude.

Anyway, I think some of this is related to people not wanting to put in the hard work and discipline - whether it be training, or diet. Also, why the popularity of quick fix diet and exercise programs. I think Planet Fitness has found and catered to this niche market quite brilliantly...
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Jason B is really well informed, watched allot of his youtube videos.
Exercise in general is one of the most beneficial things you can do to improve your quality of life.
You look better, feel better, have more confidence, have better overall health, provides a focus and discipline, the list goes on.
To me though weight lifting is a step up from the regular exercise people do. (some form of cardio, yoga and eating healthy)
All the benefits I mentioned above just seem upped a notch.
+ for me personally, weightlifting got rid of the quite bad acne I had.
The amount of stress it relived, and all the healthy eating just totally killed it.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I watched Strongman UK today; the commentator stated "He's a weightlifter" which seemed a redundant point given that he was lifting heavy stones, axles and such...but, the same theory I suppose, relating to the exercise v weighttraining.