Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
No. You're overtraining.

For a newb, isolation exercises are not allowed. Nor are 6 day splits. Train 3 days a week, preferably fullbody, and master the basic lifts.
Agreed on the over-training!

Isolation movements are okay for a newb, but only if they are doing these first: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, and pull-ups on their designated day.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Isolation movements are okay for a newb, but only if they are doing these first: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, and pull-ups on their designated day.
Can anyone trell me the benefits of isolation exercises when you're a newb?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
IMHO isolations for a newb are only really beneficial to the psyche, like the guy who has to do curls. thats why i take the marie antoinette approach and "Let them eat cake"
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Personally, I'd rather see a newb squatting twice a week and spending time with the primary heavy compound movements. Rows, Pullups. Deadlifts. Bench Press. Dips. Military Press. Upright Rows. Squats, Romanian Deadlifts. Closegrip benches. Curls. Etc.

A newb doesn't need much stimulation to grow. From a priority standpoint, once the basics are all knocked out, I don't care what a newb does...as long as the basics aren't sacrificed.

Many new trainees burnout from doing too much. I would rather see a beginner spend only 90 to 120 minutes each week in the gym during the first month of training. Get in, do the basics, and get out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
My only disagreement with people about n00bs not needing isolation is in the form of lat pull-downs.

Most people, and especially n00bs, couldn't do a pull-up/chin-up to save their lives. I'm all for negatives and holds to build up some strength, but unless there is an assisted pull-up machine or assistance bands, I think MOST people can benefit from some volume work on the lat pulldown machine.

I'm "decent" at chins/pull-ups, but I still hit up single arm pull-downs once or twice a week since I don't have access to an assistance machine or bands.

Just my opinion....

Editz - As MAB said, lat pull-downs should be utilized after the big compounds have been completed and you've done your pull-up negatives/holds.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yeah...I don't want to confuse anyone. It's not so much that I'm against isolations. It's just a priority thing for me.

Personally, I just don't have time for them. The time investment versus reward factor is low.

And lat pulldowns...many of us can't do pullups, so they are a viable alternative, as are negative pullups.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

IMO, the one reason why pull-downs turn out to be less effective than pull-ups (assuming one can do both) is because there is a greater leeway in screwing up the form.

Pull-down, if subbed for a pull-up should be a vertical pull; but most folks lean back and end up engaging the biceps and forearms too much in their quest to use heavier weights. IMO, it should also be emphasized that strict form should be maintained for pull-downs; better still, I prefer the pull-down behind the neck with moderate weights and reps.

I dont have a very good idea of the body's mechanics too much; what I wrote here ^^^ is based on how I feel the muscles, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong here
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

So as I don't confuse anyone....

I wasn't saying lat pull downs should be a substitute from pull-ups/chins. They should be an accompanying thing.

So, if you can only do 3 sets of 4 negatives, then that's all you do. That's what I would consider your "main" lift and the one you keep track of progress on. Once those are done, then you head on over to the lat machine so that you can actually work some volume.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
IMO, the one reason why pull-downs turn out to be less effective than pull-ups (assuming one can do both) is because there is a greater leeway in screwing up the form.

Pull-down, if subbed for a pull-up should be a vertical pull; but most folks lean back and end up engaging the biceps and forearms too much in their quest to use heavier weights. IMO, it should also be emphasized that strict form should be maintained for pull-downs; better still, I prefer the pull-down behind the neck with moderate weights and reps.

I dont have a very good idea of the body's mechanics too much; what I wrote here ^^^ is based on how I feel the muscles, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong here
I agree with what you're saying here. Pulldowns are abused. They are one of my "mental block" movements. I've seen so many casual lifters who just do the bench-curl-abs-pulldown workout, that I've always tried to avoid them.

I know that personally, when I did perform the movement, it was darn near impossible to keep great form. Then again, maybe an explosive pulldown might be better.

I'll never know. I'm a T-bar row and Yates row guy.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Yeah...I don't want to confuse anyone. It's not so much that I'm against isolations. It's just a priority thing for me.

Personally, I just don't have time for them. The time investment versus reward factor is low.

And lat pulldowns...many of us can't do pullups, so they are a viable alternative, as are negative pullups.
I agree with the priority, but I made some solid progress (IMO) with finishing isolation movements after the staple movements. After all, I'm a BB not a PL But really it all comes down to doing what you like. I see guys in the gym that start out with isolation movements and it's all I can do not to say something in a helpful way. But really how do you go up to a stranger and do that?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote