Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Denis Warmup Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Thanks for all the great information.I'll stick with the military press and use the weight progression glwanabe.

MAB i'll get my log up on Monday after my workout.

How many reps would ye recommend for the 50% and 70% warm up?
I like to do 10 reps with the lightest weight, 5-8 reps with the next, and then my worksets. It just depends on which move it is.

Looking forward to your log.

Like MAB, I also do a very basic routine very close to what your going to do.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I like to do 10 reps with the lightest weight, 5-8 reps with the next, and then my worksets. It just depends on which move it is.

Looking forward to your log.

Like MAB, I also do a very basic routine very close to what your going to do.
like gl and MAB, i also do a workout similar to this, and i've been lifting for 4yrs.

also because i like to keep it simple, for warm ups i recommend 2sets of 5 reps, and they have equal jumps between sets. this is the reg park way. this is how it might look if you squat 150 for your worksets.

WU 1- 100ibsx1x5

WU 2- 125ibsx1x5

work sets
150x3x5
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
denis
New Brawn
Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29

denis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributor

Ok I'm good to go, if I have any more questions I'll ask in my log when I put it up.Thanks for the great information
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Thanks for all the great information.I'll stick with the military press and use the weight progression glwanabe.

MAB i'll get my log up on Monday after my workout.

How many reps would ye recommend for the 50% and 70% warm up?
Good to hear your sticking with the presses. They tend to help overall pressing strength for benches, etc.

I personally don't do high reps on warmups, but to each his own. I do enough to warmup the area, and make sure there are no lingering tweaks or muscle issues. basically, I do it to fire up the engines, and make sure nothing is broken.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Good to hear your sticking with the presses. They tend to help overall pressing strength for benches, etc.

I personally don't do high reps on warmups, but to each his own. I do enough to warmup the area, and make sure there are no lingering tweaks or muscle issues. basically, I do it to fire up the engines, and make sure nothing is broken.
i never understood the idea of high rep warm ups, to me it feels better to do low rep ones with heavier weights because

1.) it prepares the muscle and gets everything ready to move
2.) no significant pump so i wont cramp up mid set
3.) there is less fatigue caused
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
i never understood the idea of high rep warm ups, to me it feels better to do low rep ones with heavier weights because

1.) it prepares the muscle and gets everything ready to move
2.) no significant pump so i wont cramp up mid set
3.) there is less fatigue caused
I agree, Look at olympic lifters who haul heavy ass weight, they don't do more then 3 reps at a time for most lifts. I personally feel do a lot of light sets until you feel ready to SMASH! F'ing Weights!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

When I was younger I could get away with less warmup work than I do now.
I don't want to paint the picture that I'm an arthritic old man. I'm not 20, 30, or even 40 anymore. I'll be 48 in a few months. I've done my fair share of damage to my body over the years from living my life in the game, and not watching it from the sidelines. Just age alone requires that I approach things with a bit of caution.

I would not say that the amount I do before my worksets is excessive. Rather, it is appropriate given the fact that I've got a little bit more wear and tear on my body.

I do squats first in my workout. My warm up set at 130 is pretty light, but those first few squats are still stiff feeling. 10 reps for me on that set is just enough to get the blood flowing and let my body know that work is coming.

My second set right now is usually at 180. I can feel the weight here, but it is not heavy. I choose 8 reps for this set for a reason. My highest workset will go to 8 reps. So I want to at least match that workset number with my warmup. This may mean that I'm not moving up as fast as I possibly could, but I'm still moving up in workset weights.

By the time some of you get to be my current age, I really will be an old man. My time with iron may well be long gone by that time. I want to be able to continue doing this for as long as possible, and that means making changes to accomodate the reality of getting older. If waking up in pain, and being sore was going to keep me from doing this, I would have already quit.

Tomorrow is workout day, I can't wait.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I do more warmups for squats, bench and overhead press. But they're generally 3-5 rep sets. For squats I'm more stretching out to get the bar lower on my back. For pressing motions, I want to make 100% sure that everything if feeling good.

But definitely no high reps.

Some guys list higher rep sets as warmups, but they're more like working sets.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I do more warmups for squats, bench and overhead press. But they're generally 3-5 rep sets. For squats I'm more stretching out to get the bar lower on my back. For pressing motions, I want to make 100% sure that everything if feeling good.

But definitely no high reps.

Some guys list higher rep sets as warmups, but they're more like working sets.
For squats I feel the tightest through my hips, and lower back on the first few reps. My knee issues have not been giving me problems lately, and I hope that continues to be the case.

I really hope to not have shoulder issues. Mine stay a bit stiff but seem to be doing ok right now.

I take crap from several friends at work about being my age, but I'm in better shape than all of them.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

I take crap from several friends at work about being my age, but I'm in better shape than all of them.
I hear you on that one. My wife has a work mate that is a know it all and is constantly telling my wife that weightlifting isn't cardio. I keep inviting her down for deadlift and squat day.

Cardio = heart rate elevated throughout workout. Nuff said.