Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I hear you on that one. My wife has a work mate that is a know it all and is constantly telling my wife that weightlifting isn't cardio. I keep inviting her down for deadlift and squat day.

Cardio = heart rate elevated throughout workout. Nuff said.
Amen Brother.

When I do 10 rep squat sets, with less than a minute between sets, my heart rate is through the roof. Higher rep deadlift sets as well.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Amen Brother.

When I do 10 rep squat sets, with less than a minute between sets, my heart rate is through the roof. Higher rep deadlift sets as well.
I'm not sure why the misconception lingers that cardio exercise has to involve kicking legs into the arms or punching at invisible foes.

My workouts are also cardio. I just like rest-pause. It keeps my heart rate up. I do both cardio and weightlifting.

But a simple 10 rep set of squats can do the same thing

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Exactly, I said this at that other forum, and was scorned as if I was a heratic.

Actually, this whole thread has put a light on the fact that, there is a huge difference in how age affects this sport.

The difference between even a 15 and 25yr old is a large gap. Take the leap from say a 20yr old to somebody my age, and the chasm is huge. There are differences in almost every aspect that have to be accounted for. It can still be done. but the margin for error is tighter.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Exactly, I said this at that other forum, and was scorned as if I was a heratic.

Actually, this whole thread has put a light on the fact that, there is a huge difference in how age affects this sport.

The difference between even a 15 and 25yr old is a large gap. Take the leap from say a 20yr old to somebody my age, and the chasm is huge. There are differences in almost every aspect that have to be accounted for. It can still be done. but the margin for error is tighter.
There are huge age differences.

I refuse to do high impact cardio. I ran for many years and I think it's contributed to more lingering aches and pains then lifting ever will.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
There are huge age differences.

I refuse to do high impact cardio. I ran for many years and I think it's contributed to more lingering aches and pains then lifting ever will.
C-140 rolling down the strip, Airborne trooper gonna take a little trip, stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door, jump right out on the count of 4.

Yea, I did a bit of running as well. I was doing about 85 miles a month for awhile. After several months of that, I was hurting down to my bones, literally.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BTW, what specifically did they jump on you about? Just looking to explore this a bit more...

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
BTW, what specifically did they jump on you about? Just looking to explore this a bit more...
It's not just one time. My opinion to them has been that proper intensity in your workout provides enough cardi benefit. If building muscle is your main concern, then don't do extra cardio. Save that energy for your body to grow.

For the most part it's always about like this. Some guy anywhere from 5'10" to 6'2" who weigh's about 165 is complaining that he can't gain weight. He's on a split program and doing cardio, so he's got one day of complete rest.

If I remember right I think I even told him he should think about having a dbl whopper meal instead of doing cardio.

I'll see if I can find some of the threads.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-22-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
It's not just one time. My opinion to them has been that proper intensity in your workout provides enough cardi benefit. If building muscle is your main concern, then don't do extra cardio. Save that energy for your body to grow.

For the most part it's always about like this. Some guy anywhere from 5'10" to 6'2" who weigh's about 165 is complaining that he can't gain weight. He's on a split program and doing cardio, so he's got one day of complete rest.

If I remember right I think I even told him he should think about having a dbl whopper meal instead of doing cardio.

I'll see if I can find some of the threads.
I've been involved in many of those threads. And have been "run off" or "put down" for the same view. Too many guys think it's all about "abs at any cost."

I was reading a thread this morning on a site I mod where the lifter bulked and gained "just as much fat as muscle" and nearly had a heart attack. He wanted a way to gain muscle without gaining fat.

Good luck with that.

Best to add both, and then cut, then to spend 10 years eating the minimum and hoping to pack on muscle.

Of course, the game does change a bit when the lifter is post 30. Bulking becomes more difficult. But it's still the same game.

I really have no interest in weighing 160 and being ripped. I'm speaking from experience. I was 168 with abs in the military. And I didn't look like a bodybuilder.

I have no beef with guys trying to add a little muscle and get ripped. But unless they're a genetic freak, they need to eat cheeseburgers instead of doing cardio.

I had a buddy in college who was skinny as a rail. He wanted to add muscle. I told him to stop running, and to eat like a pig. He gained 15 pounds in 2 months, and looked damn good.

Those that are naturally fat or overweight might need to lose weight before trying to add muscle. Then they might need a more cyclical approach to adding muscle.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
glwanabe
Max Brawn

They also loved Dave Tate thread on bulking.

Dave Tate on gaining size - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
They also loved Dave Tate thread on bulking.

Dave Tate on gaining size - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Sorry for the cynicism, but that thread is funny. It's like watching a bunch of stick figures battle over a Trisket.

Cook Andrew B has some good replies, as do you, of course.

One of the posters stated:

Quote:
Please everyone go try this diet, let me know what the bill is at the gastroenterologist.

Oh not to mention, you are going to need a **** load of cheerios to get your heart healthy after this bad boy.
Give me a break. I eat like a freak, 75% healthy, 25% shitty, and have been monitoring my health for 20 years. My blood pressure is awesome, and my levels are all about as good as they get. It's all due to consistent, hard, intense exercise.

I really disagree that this is a powerlifter's diet. I dislike the mindset that separates the 2 sports for intermediate lifters.

If you're an intermediate, you should be trying to gain strength and muscle...this goes for both powerlifters and bodybuilders.

Why have these sports become polar opposites? The classic lifters had both...strength and power. Modern pro bodybuilders are strong as all heck. I interview numerous natural PRO bodybuilders...lncluding Dave Goodin (who just won a world IFBB championship as a natural at 50+ years old) and Joe Ohrablo, and many of these pros train for strength, and recommend pushing for strength when cutting.

A lot of these modern debates are merely fairy tales based on nothing more then wishful thinking, studies and monkey piss voodoo. How many of these guys base these forum debates on personal opinion? How many of these guys bench 300 and have added at least 20 pounds of muscle?

I mean seriously, if you can't add 20 pounds of muscle as a natural after 2 to 4 years, either you're:

A) Overtraining.
B) Undereating.
C) Not pushing for progression.
D) All three.