Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor
Question Do I need a rest day

I dont feel like I need a rest day but I hear it might be beneficial im on a four day split that goes legs, shoulders and forearms, back and biceps, chest and tris. Im on a bulk. Any advice would help
northernbulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbulk View Post
I dont feel like I need a rest day but I hear it might be beneficial im on a four day split that goes legs, shoulders and forearms, back and biceps, chest and tris. Im on a bulk. Any advice would help
You could work 4 days straight and take 3 days off. It's not optimal, but if you are working hard, eating write and trying to bear bear strong in conventional hypertrophy rep ranges then you will see results.

How long have you been lifting, and do you feel gains are coming quickly for you right now, or slowly?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Hello NB! Whitecap fan?

As to your question, if you don't feel you need a rest day, then don't take it as a general rule, but your question is a bit ambiguous. Do you mean one rest day a week, or are you saying no rest days at all?

I'm going to assume you mean should I take a rest day in between shoulder and back day, so something like Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri lifting each week. SO therefore your question would be you don't want to take Wed. off.

Sure, that would work, especially if it fits your schedule better. Space your routines out as they fit you.

BUt it is important to know that rest and recovery is as important as the lifting itself.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
northernbulk
Max Brawn

northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

I dont take any days off but this month my bench has went up 30 lbs and all my lifts have went up
Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I was wondering if that's what you meant. No days off at all.

Hey, if it's working for you, then ride the wave! It's all about what works for you.

If you begin to notice things like joints hurting, difficulty recovering or simply lifts beginning to stall, then look into more rest time. Keep a log and see what happens.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
MikeM
Max Brawn

You sure about that? Meets are a good way to meet people and get advice, have fun, etc. If you wait until you some certain numbers, you'll be missing out on the fun you could have or people you could be meeting now.

Just a thought. DO it when you feel comfortable.

What are your lifts now?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbulk View Post
I dont take any days off but this month my bench has went up 30 lbs and all my lifts have went up
You should be taking time off. It will catch up to you.

Right now you're training isn't optimal. It's working, but not working as well as it could because you are trying to do too much.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
northernbulk
Max Brawn

i want to eventually power lift but im not strong enough yet
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
northernbulk
Max Brawn

thx goin to hit shoulders
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
prchaser
New Brawn
Points: 307, Level: 6 Points: 307, Level: 6 Points: 307, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

prchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality postsprchaser has made some quality posts

If you feel that it works for you, then more power to you. I have to have a rest day or two built into my schedule. But you must do what you feel comfortable with and what works well for you. Best of luck to you.
prchaser is offline   Reply With Quote