Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Do I need a rest day (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12624)

northernbulk 02-24-2013 11:04 AM

Do I need a rest day

I dont feel like I need a rest day but I hear it might be beneficial im on a four day split that goes legs, shoulders and forearms, back and biceps, chest and tris. Im on a bulk. Any advice would help

BendtheBar 02-24-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernbulk (Post 328675)
I dont feel like I need a rest day but I hear it might be beneficial im on a four day split that goes legs, shoulders and forearms, back and biceps, chest and tris. Im on a bulk. Any advice would help

You could work 4 days straight and take 3 days off. It's not optimal, but if you are working hard, eating write and trying to bear bear strong in conventional hypertrophy rep ranges then you will see results.

How long have you been lifting, and do you feel gains are coming quickly for you right now, or slowly?

MikeM 02-24-2013 11:23 AM

Hello NB! Whitecap fan?

As to your question, if you don't feel you need a rest day, then don't take it as a general rule, but your question is a bit ambiguous. Do you mean one rest day a week, or are you saying no rest days at all?

I'm going to assume you mean should I take a rest day in between shoulder and back day, so something like Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri lifting each week. SO therefore your question would be you don't want to take Wed. off.

Sure, that would work, especially if it fits your schedule better. Space your routines out as they fit you.

BUt it is important to know that rest and recovery is as important as the lifting itself.

northernbulk 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

I dont take any days off but this month my bench has went up 30 lbs and all my lifts have went up

northernbulk 02-24-2013 11:53 AM

i want to eventually power lift but im not strong enough yet

MikeM 02-24-2013 11:56 AM

I was wondering if that's what you meant. No days off at all.

Hey, if it's working for you, then ride the wave! It's all about what works for you.

If you begin to notice things like joints hurting, difficulty recovering or simply lifts beginning to stall, then look into more rest time. Keep a log and see what happens.

northernbulk 02-24-2013 11:58 AM

thx goin to hit shoulders

MikeM 02-24-2013 11:59 AM

You sure about that? Meets are a good way to meet people and get advice, have fun, etc. If you wait until you some certain numbers, you'll be missing out on the fun you could have or people you could be meeting now.

Just a thought. DO it when you feel comfortable.

What are your lifts now?

BendtheBar 02-24-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernbulk (Post 328690)
I dont take any days off but this month my bench has went up 30 lbs and all my lifts have went up

You should be taking time off. It will catch up to you.

Right now you're training isn't optimal. It's working, but not working as well as it could because you are trying to do too much.

prchaser 02-24-2013 12:11 PM

If you feel that it works for you, then more power to you. I have to have a rest day or two built into my schedule. But you must do what you feel comfortable with and what works well for you. Best of luck to you.