Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts
Default Problem with right hamstring

Hi,

Today as I was training for legs, I felt a really annoying stiffness/mild pain in my right hamstring. This happened last leg session too, but not as sharply as today. I don't really feel it much doing leg press or deadlift, but when I complete my movement in the lying leg curl ( at the end of the movement, where my legs are closer to my butt) I can definitely feel it very much.

I can train through it but I don't want to risk getting injured either. It also seems to lower my strength.

I am just wondering if anyone ever had the experience before or has any knowledge of what might be happening.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
jemag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I would stretch my groin, hip flexor and foam roll my calves, glutes and ITB... if there's specifically a knot in my hammy, I would also massage that out.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
jemag
Brawn

jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

Quote:
It may seem counter-intuitive, but I would stretch my groin, hip flexor and foam roll my calves, glutes and ITB... if there's specifically a knot in my hammy, I would also massage that out.
Yeah thats actually a really good idea. I'll try to stretch everyday from now on.

I don't have any foam roller tho at the moment, I'll try to check if I can find any in Canada. Is that expensive? (I'm pretty poor for now) I heard really good things about foam rolling.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
^ this. i am totally opposed to stretching (lol) except in the case you described. i had sciatica about a year and a half ago, and it had a similar effect on my left hamstring. stretching definitely helped, as much as i hated it. thank God it healed up and i don't ever have to stretch again
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post
Yeah thats actually a really good idea. I'll try to stretch everyday from now on.

I don't have any foam roller tho at the moment, I'll try to check if I can find any in Canada. Is that expensive? (I'm pretty poor for now) I heard really good things about foam rolling.
foam rollers should be pretty cheap. you can always get a 4" diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe and use that to roll on too. Foam doesn't do much for my upper back, but the PVC really helps it a lot
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post

You could get by with a smaller 12" one. You can also use tennis balls and other balls for a similar effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
^ this. i am totally opposed to stretching (lol) except in the case you described. i had sciatica about a year and a half ago, and it had a similar effect on my left hamstring. stretching definitely helped, as much as i hated it. thank God it healed up and i don't ever have to stretch again
standard stretching is not useful to me either. I prefer contract/relax stretching (per Pavel) or using light weights to work through a range of motion or moving against bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
foam rollers should be pretty cheap. you can always get a 4" diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe and use that to roll on too. Foam doesn't do much for my upper back, but the PVC really helps it a lot
Same here as far as upper back...I use a harder (black) foam roller for everything.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Could be just a spasm, could be a small tear hard to tell from here. Stretching and massage are good, if you know why you're doing them! If it's a tear, the stretching and massage will help to reduce scar tissue build up as your body rebuilds. That's why you stretch and massage a muscle injury.

Either way I'd drop the leg curl, I'm fairly certain it injures more people than it helps.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
jemag
Brawn

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys.

I gotta say I'm glad I joined the forums, everyone is really helpful here.

I found a fairly cheap foam roller, so I will probably order it next week.

Quote:
Either way I'd drop the leg curl, I'm fairly certain it injures more people than it helps.
Do you have any suggestion as for good leg curl replacement exercice? I would normally go for something like romanian deadlift but my back gets tired pretty easily and I already do conventional deadlift and squat in my current routine, so I'm not sure it would be the best idea.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Stiff leg deadlifts, from the floor, beltless and preferably rounded upper back. The last bit is optional, depending on what you consider to be safe.

Start light, do it twice a week, add weight slowly working on form and stretch. Within 6 months you'll hit big weights and have stronger hammies.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Stiff leg deadlifts, from the floor, beltless and preferably rounded upper back. The last bit is optional, depending on what you consider to be safe.

Start light, do it twice a week, add weight slowly working on form and stretch. Within 6 months you'll hit big weights and have stronger hammies.
Most tightness is the result of weakness at a certain ROM. Gently building strength at the point where you have any issues is curative.

A good exercise, with a reasonable weight and a full ROM is the best kind of stretching...lightly loaded, normal movement with decent reps will work out most problems...follow up with a little rolling, etc. and you'll recover quickly.