Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Mr NC at contest time:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Powerlifter meets strongman:

His arms are bigger than my waist.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

All done.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ The point of all this is simple:

Bodybuilding is an illusion.

If (BIG IF) I got shredded I would be as big, if not bigger than every one of these guys. Eric Broser would be hard for me to beat!

Powerlifters have plenty of muscle. There are no Elite level powerlifters without a lot of muscle mass. There are some, a small percentage, who reach Elite levels in gear and don't look jacked, but they still weight 270+ pounds and have plenty of natural muscle under their fat.

Fat changes the game. It's an illusion.

Me, JB and Gaspers are huge. Max Misch and Fazc, if they got shredded, could hold their own at any natural bodybuilding show.

We powerlifters might not work small body parts and bring up weaknesses, but overall we have the same, or nearly the same muscle mass.

Well I want to big strong and big, so surly powerlifting would be a better idea for most people?
Why not just do powerlifting in the first place if you want to be big?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
nvm...I found it...Dave Gulledge:

Yeah i've seen him before. He looks allot tougher than mr olympia, thats my point
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
All done.
To me, powerlifting is clearly the superior option.
Why be big with less strength, when you can be huge and strong as hell at the same time?

Back to the hypertrophy thing. You say powerlifters look no different to bodybuilders apart from body fat percentages, and from the pictures you showed me, I understand now.
The sarco vs myo hypertrophy, seems irrelevant even if looking at it just out of interest.
I've read tons of stuff about it, and here isn't really any proof to support that you can train for either one, and any supposed evidence you can find has a contradiction to go along with it.

The only reason I was concerned with all this before was because I didn't want to put a ton of hard work in, to find out that I was just pumping my muscles up with fluid, that wouldn't last.
Its clearly not as black and white as that, like you said in the other thread, but I just felt compelled to get my head round it.

By the way, if powerlifters often have as much mass as bodybuilders, then why not just do powerlifting?
Seems like a better idea to me.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
To me, powerlifting is clearly the superior option.
Why be big with less strength, when you can be huge and strong as hell at the same time?

Back to the hypertrophy thing. You say powerlifters look no different to bodybuilders apart from body fat percentages, and from the pictures you showed me, I understand now.
The sarco vs myo hypertrophy, seems irrelevant even if looking at it just out of interest.
I've read tons of stuff about it, and here isn't really any proof to support that you can train for either one, and any supposed evidence you can find has a contradiction to go along with it.

The only reason I was concerned with all this before was because I didn't want to put a ton of hard work in, to find out that I was just pumping my muscles up with fluid, that wouldn't last.
Its clearly not as black and white as that, like you said in the other thread, but I just felt compelled to get my head round it.

By the way, if powerlifters often have as much mass as bodybuilders, then why not just do powerlifting?
Seems like a better idea to me.
do powerbuilding, the best of both.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
do powerbuilding, the best of both.
Thats a mix of both power lifting and bodybuilding I presume?
Although if I can get big doing powerlifting, why dont I just do that?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Well I want to big strong and big, so surly powerlifting would be a better idea for most people?
Why not just do powerlifting in the first place if you want to be big?
For one, some muscles are not targeted by powerlifting (the 3 big lifts) which means they don't get developed unlike with bodybuilding where they are targeted; if you look at the back of a powerlifter and compare it with the back of a bodybuilder, the very small of the back (the small triangular muscle segment at the base, someone will know the name ) is not developed so much in the powerlifter but it is in the case of the bodybuilder.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
For one, some muscles are not targeted by powerlifting (the 3 big lifts) which means they don't get developed unlike with bodybuilding where they are targeted; if you look at the back of a powerlifter and compare it with the back of a bodybuilder, the very small of the back (the small triangular muscle segment at the base, someone will know the name ) is not developed so much in the powerlifter but it is in the case of the bodybuilder.
So, couldn't you use the same powerlifting rep and set range, and do some isolation exercises aswell?
What IS the typical powerlifting rep and set range by the way.