Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

by the way, thankyou to bendthebar, and everyone else who commented, I appriciate it.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
So, couldn't you use the same powerlifting rep and set range, and do some isolation exercises aswell?
What IS the typical powerlifting rep and set range by the way.
look at the article called...powerbuilding the the muscle and brawn way. I cant link it because i dont know how to, but it is a good read.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

if you're a beginner, you should really start with Starting Strength. i'll attach a write up someone did a long time ago about the program. Starting Strength will get you "started" on the powerlifts and also get you doing some basic accessory work. Mark Rippetoe, the co-author and famous trainer, also has a lot of instructional videos on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
look at the article called...powerbuilding the the muscle and brawn way. I cant link it because i dont know how to, but it is a good read.
Powerbuilding, the Muscle and Brawn Way | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

listen to BendTheBar and the other experienced powerlifters here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rippetoe's Starting Strength.pdf (377.4 KB, 14 views)
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
Ill check it out, thank you Lee
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
if you're a beginner, you should really start with Starting Strength. i'll attach a write up someone did a long time ago about the program. Starting Strength will get you "started" on the powerlifts and also get you doing some basic accessory work. Mark Rippetoe, the co-author and famous trainer, also has a lot of instructional videos on YouTube.

Powerbuilding, the Muscle and Brawn Way | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

listen to BendTheBar and the other experienced powerlifters here.
Tanks for the advice, I'm on a 5x5 right now, didn't really look into SS so I'll have a look now.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #36
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

well no, nevermind then. if you're not a beginner then you should probably stick to your routine and not do SS.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #37
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
well no, nevermind then. if you're not a beginner then you should probably stick to your routine and not do SS.
Oh I am a begginer, just already started a 5x5,been on it about a month now .
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #38
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

The best thing you can do as a beginner is to stop thinking in terms of "bodybuilding" and "powerlifting". You really aren't doing either one. Rather, think in terms of "building your base" and setting your foundation.

Your 5x5 is a foundation routine as is Starting Strength. It has you using moderate reps and sets because it allows you to lift heavy enough, keep consistent, work on form and build work capacity. It is a very general style of training that focuses on the major muscle groups to build strength and size. It does not specialize on anything in particular.

After you have built your foundation through 2 or 3 years of hard work, then you can specialize on powerlifting (displaying strength through max effort) or bodybuilding (making every muscle balanced and visually appealing). After a few years of building your foundation your path should be pretty clear to you; you will either be strong or built or an average of both. But you need that foundation first, to specialize too early is just a slower ride to the top. If all you did we're high reps and sets, strength progression would be slower, its much harder to add big chunks of weight to 15 rep sets. Likewise, if all you did we're very heavy low reps then work capacity and good form would not be built as quickly.

These are generalizations of course, but I think you'll get the idea.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
The best thing you can do as a beginner is to stop thinking in terms of "bodybuilding" and "powerlifting". You really aren't doing either one. Rather, think in terms of "building your base" and setting your foundation.

Your 5x5 is a foundation routine as is Starting Strength. It has you using moderate reps and sets because it allows you to lift heavy enough, keep consistent, work on form and build work capacity. It is a very general style of training that focuses on the major muscle groups to bu2ild strength and size. It does not specialize on anything in particular.

After you have built your foundation through 2 or 3 years of hard work, then you can specialize on powerlifting (displaying strength through max effort) or bodybuilding (making every muscle balanced and visually appealing). After a few years of building your foundation your path should be pretty clear to you; you will either be strong or built or an average of both. But you need that foundation first, to specialize too early is just a slower ride to the top. If all you did we're high reps and sets, strength progression would be slower, its much harder to add big chunks of weight to 15 rep sets. Likewise, if all you did we're very heavy low reps then work capacity and good form would not be built as quickly.

These are generalizations of course, but I think you'll get the idea.

I didn't think of that,thanks. I get it now, as a begginer it seems you dont fal into either party,and to do so wouldnt be a good idea.

You mentioned strength gains would be slower if you focused entirly on higher reps, and vice verser.

This relates completly to my original question.

If sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy dont cause muscles to react differently to certain rep ranges,then what does?
Why is it everyone says you'll grow slower focusing on lower reps?
Steve said that he was as big as these other bodybuilders, and hes a powerlifter.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #40
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I didn't think of that,thanks. I get it now, as a begginer it seems you dont fal into either party,and to do so wouldnt be a good idea.

You mentioned strength gains would be slower if you focused entirly on higher reps, and vice verser.

This relates completly to my original question.

If sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy dont cause muscles to react differently to certain rep ranges,then what does?
Why is it everyone says you'll grow slower focusing on lower reps?
Steve said that he was as big as these other bodybuilders, and hes a powerlifter.
just lift = eat = rest, repeat and grow. I am not saying that in a disrespectful way.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote