Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts
Default Deloading

Hi,

I am currently doing a upper/lower body routine (Lyle McDonald Generic Bulking Routine) and I am near the end of my 4th week.

The routine usually recommends that after the 6th week you go into a deloading before starting the new cycle. So basically :

Deload week 1 = 80-85% of previous maxes
Deload week 2 = 90-95% of previous maxes

then go back to 100%.

My problem is I have been sick lately, so I had to take 4-5 days off the gym. So I am wondering, when deload comes, should I do it normally or should I just jump to deload week 2 since I already got some time off midway through the program or some other option?

Also, in general, how much more efficient is it to deload compared to simply take time off from the gym between cycles?
jemag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

cant help you, but somone else might help you now.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Don't really know the routine that well, but my thoughts on deloads are

1. Take them when YOU need them, not when a generic routine says to
2. You're not likely to need to deload every 4 weeks if you're a novice.

If it were me, I'd skip the deload this time around and start up a training log so we can take a look at how things are going and make suggestions on things that might increase the speed of your gains
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Edit - Misunderstood the original post.

Yes, just follow the plan. Carry on for another 2 weeks and then deload properly as it recommends.

Deloading/periodisation is a massive topic, but I'll just say that it has to be part of the plan. Not something tacked on to the end. A more complete answer would need a more specific question.

Last edited by Fazc; 02-20-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

thanks a lot for the input guys

yeah I think I might just start a training log.
My progress in the gym has always been extremely slow, especially considering I still have weak numbers on my 3 main lifts. I have been lifting on and off for the last 5 years but I only got really dedicated in the last 4 months, especially with my nutrition. I really want to make all I can to get the best gains possible now.

(p.s. : sorry if my written english is kind of weird, I am french canadian)
jemag is offline   Reply With Quote