Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
alothrysis
New Brawn
Points: 636, Level: 12 Points: 636, Level: 12 Points: 636, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk
alothrysis is off to a bad start
Default Bulking and lack thereof

Hello all, 1st post here
A little history:

In April I will have been training for 2 years, made the beginner mistake as a natural lifter and tried the bro-split method for my first 6 months of training.
Moved to an upper lower for about 16 months or so.

Recently have moved to the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 novice program as my strength according to him makes me a beginner still. Recommended strength standards (225lbx5 BP, 315lbx5 Squat, 405lbx5 DL) Progression is coming along nicely. I also workout at home and alone so I can't get too crazy trying PRs

My estimated 1rms
5'11 155lbs
235lb Squat
355lb DL
175lb BP
Measurements
Chest from upper armpit: 44.5 in
Arms: 14.2 in
Legs: 23 in
10-13ish bf %, can see abs if I flex

I am happy with my progress as I have a very thin frame. Not sure of my stats when I started but, I DEFINITELY look much better than I did 2 years ago. I have an extremely fast metabolism along with a labor job, moving furniture the past 6 years, most days go into the 8-10 hour range, 5 days a week.
Like I said, I have definitely put on size in 2 years but, I have only gone up 2lb on my scale. This doesn't make sense as it sure looks like more than 2 lbs.
My TDEE is apparently 3236...I have been eating 4500-5000 calories a day for who knows how long...always making sure I hit my protein and fat recommendations, the remaining calories are filled in with carbs or anything I can get my hands on really. I have yet to stall on lifts but, I literally don't go up in weight. Frankly, I can't afford my bodybuilding needs it seems.

What should I do? My lifts are always increasing so I know progress is there...I feel like I am missing out on potential growth though since my weight has only increased by 2lbs in almost 2 years.

Any suggestions?
Don't really want to go down the McDonalds route for the extra calories
EDIT: I also don't count my milk intake, which is whole milk btw and I also try to fit in as many peanut butter sandwiches as I can before my stomach explodes

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you got this far

Last edited by alothrysis; 02-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
alothrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

It seems like you know that issue. You have a good training plan, and you've built some solid strength so far, so the only thing left is to get your intake even higher.

There are a few tricks that will help. Focus on good fats. Keep almonds around. If you throw in even a few handfulls of almonds on top of your current intake then it'll make a big difference. Also, olive oil. Add it to everything you cook, and add it to your protein shakes if you make any.

Another HUGE one is heavy whipping cream. The stuff is like 50 cals a TEASPOON. Add a few teaspoons to each glass of milk and you've added another 400 cals by the end of the day.

With just almonds, olive oil, and heavy whipping cream you can easily add 1000 cals a day to your intake. OH, and when you make those PB sandwhiches, put more PB on less bread. The bread fills you up and the calories you really want are coming from the PB.

God, I wish I had your problems, lol. Bulking seems tough until you start cutting.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
alothrysis
New Brawn
Points: 636, Level: 12 Points: 636, Level: 12 Points: 636, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Milk
alothrysis is off to a bad start

Heavy whipping cream in my milk and olive oil in the protein shakes

Awesome suggestions, thanks again
alothrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Like I said, I have definitely put on size in 2 years but, I have only gone up 2lb on my scale. This doesn't make sense as it sure looks like more than 2 lbs.
Even a smallerish amount of muscle will make a difference on a lean frame. 3-4-5 pounds of muscle is more than most people realize.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
You can eat clean and still get in plenty of calories. It's all about seeking quality calorie sources, and making sure about 10-20 % of your foods are junkier.

Butter, heavy cream, cream cheese, cheese, olive oil, whole milk. A little of cheese types of heavy foods goes a long way, and adds tons of healthy calories.

The first step you need to do is spend a week figuring our how many calories you are eating. You aren't gaining much weight right now and need to get proactive and establish a baseline.

Count your cals for a week, get an average, and let us know what this average is each week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote