Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Training in the morning

I am seriously considering waking up early in the morning to train. For one, I am wanting to spend more time with my family when I get home from work. My son doesn't quite understand why Dada doesn't want to play when he gets home from work. Second, it gets 110+ degF here in the summer and the best way to avoid it is by training early.

I'm looking for advice on training in the morning, fasted. I'm interested in advice, insight, personal experiences, articles, videos, threads, etc...
Since I probably won't be eating, I am interested in what I need to do to mitigate the effects of being fasted.

Thanks.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good topic.

When I was in the military I did a lot of early morning training. I would sip on a highly diluted protein shake during the workout, or on a BCAA drink. I usually put one scoop of whey in about 20-24 ounces of water. I am not sure if the protein was necessary, but not having eaten in quite a while I considered it an insurance policy. It was also nice to have something of taste while working out. Plain water wasn't always fun for me while still trying to wake up.

If you are a coffee person, you could also combine 12-16 ounces of coffee with 4-8 ounces of water and a scoop or whey. The extra water cools the coffee a bit. This combo is my favorite.

I would probably also recommend 5 minutes of walking and or some light stretching just to get moving, and then hit your workout as normal.

One thing I will say is that morning workouts made me hungry. I do recommend eating a quality meal post-workout. If not you might find yourself binge eating by mid-morning. On the weekends I lift in the morning and am always starving.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Is it essential to train fasted, or could you snack before getting ready to lift? I'm not a scientist, so I don't know that training fasted would be detrimental, but it would make sense that having almost nothing in your system would be less than optimal for training.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Air Hockey Average Champion! Football Frenzy Champion! Yahtzee! Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

Josh, i trained in the morning for 20 years while in the Army, and i never ate breakfast prior to PT (physical Training). and then when i really got into the weight lifting arena, was while i was in Iraq, i still would do my weight training in the morning prior to Chow. i never had an issue... but i can tell you that after training and then showering and changing into uniform, i was devouring breakfast, i ate like freaking madman.... thus probally half the reason i went from 172lbs to 202lbs the year i was there and lifting...

i think you will do fine lifting first thing in the morning, plus i always felt like i had more energy first thing... good luck
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I am seriously considering waking up early in the morning to train.
I am usually up at 5.30am for my commute to work so I cant workout early in the morning.
If I worked locally , I would do this , 100% . It’s the best way to manage time , just make sure you are getting sleep at the other side ,
i.e no going to bed at 1am and then up early expecting miracles!
Quote:
I am wanting to spend more time with my family when I get home from work. My son doesn't quite understand why Dada doesn't want to play when he gets home from work.
This is the reason I train at lunchtime , it will make the evenings free for family time

Fazc said this in his interview in the round table section and it stuck home with me (wow where did that great idea go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I wouldn't allow either the gym to interfere with my career or family/marriage though. A man needs to have his priorities in order
Quote:
I'm looking for advice on training in the morning, fasted. I'm interested in advice, insight, personal experiences, articles, videos, threads, etc...
Since I probably won't be eating, I am interested in what I need to do to mitigate the effects of being fasted.
Right now I am training fasted , at first I did not like it one bit. But I am used to it now , I hope!
My numbers did dip a bit but I am slowly adding back kgs to the bar a week and am more used to it.
All I have as a prework out is coffee (and lots of it)
Quote:
Thanks.
No problem!

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

All my morning training is done fasted. I usually have a cup of coffee on the way to the gym and then just hit it. I do recommend taking an extra couple minutes to stretch a wee bit more than you usually do.

I didn't see a drop in weights, but I found that you do have to dig a little deeper to find that same intensity you have if you're used to training in the evenings. If you can persevere through the first couple workouts and find your inner drive you'll be just fine.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

My schedule has changed for a bit, moving me to afternoons. Typically, I train in the mornings, after everyone leaves for work and school (benefit of living right next door to my office). I train fasted and can not imagine trying to eat before training. I would puke every session if I did so.

One thing I recommend. When you sleep, the fluid in your discs settles. Give yourself some time before starting in the gym to let your back "wake up" and everything to readjust to being upright and moving. I believe it is McGill that recommends 45-60 minutes before anything that will affect the back.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

could you eat a big meal close to bed time? your stomach would probably be empty by morning, but your small intestine would still be absorbing calories before breakfast/during your workout.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I trained at 4:00AM fasted 4X per week for 2 years and I was fine. I did drink a Casein shake before bed. I also took a pre-wo and drank Xtend intra. I progressed just fine. The only reason I stopped is because the banging of plates and bars almost always awoke Mrs Squatter and she was growing really tired of it. Unhappy wife = unhappy life.

Still today, my Crew training on Saturday and Sunday mornings is still fasted, and those are my 2 heavy days. The only reason I stopped progressing was because I kept reinjuring my lower back every few months due to my compression issue that you likely already know about.

You will be just fine, I think
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 515 lbs
Total: 1305 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
the banging of plates and bars almost always awoke Mrs Squatter and she was growing really tired of it. Unhappy wife = unhappy life.
lol
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote