Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Calories dilemma (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12465)

LindenGarcia18 02-12-2013 03:16 PM

Calories dilemma

So its pancake day today, and i've been doing great with my food recently.
Nothing bad at all, just good, clean food.
Today though, I couldn't resist Ice Cream and pancakes, and I feel really bad for eating them.
It also then dawned on me how much I was eating throughout the day.
3000 calories.
I looked in the mirror, and I defiantly looked like i'd put weight on. Not loads, but a bit.
My goal is to be strong, big, and ripped. I feel now that i've started in the wrong way and should've cut.
I dont have a six pack, and my abs are becoming less visible now that I've started working out.

I feel as though I should cut back, shed some of the fat, and get own to a low body fat percentage, and THEN do a clean bulk.
If not I feel as though when I look at myself at the end of the year, Im going to be pleased that i've made good gains, but displeased that they're covered by a load of fat, that I then have to spend ages cutting off.
Were also going on holiday for 2 weeks, which makes it impossible for me to do my 5x5, and means the only thing I could do is cardio.
It seems a good opportunity, to cut back a bit, so that when the years over, I might be able to see my abs.

What do you think?
I'll try post a picture later, not working right now.

BendtheBar 02-12-2013 03:19 PM

What is your age, height and weight?

Goat 02-12-2013 03:22 PM

Clean or dirty, you will need calories to build muscle. Period.

big_swede 02-12-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

So its pancake day today, and i've been doing great with my food recently.
Nothing bad at all, just good, clean food.
Today though, I couldn't resist Ice Cream and pancakes, and I feel really bad for eating them.
Hoooorray for pancakes!

Hey man, we need to change your mindset completely for you to achieve your goal.

A 6 pack on a starving guy weighing 100lbs is not cool other than in concentration camp and we dont want that, do we?

You need to eat to build muscle, and you need to eat alot more than you think. The "added weight" you spot in the mirror is probably just waterbloat and a full stomac from just eating. Its mostly a mental "feeling" of fatness youre experiencing - ignore it.

Eat, lift and dominate. Dont bother about cutting or bulking, focus on getting stronger and work your ass off, not missing a single day of lifting. On vacation? You have a lil brother or a dog or something? Press him overhead for reps whenever youre away from the barbell!

Dont worry about calories, macros or supplements! Just enjoy training and bust your ass.

jslep 02-12-2013 03:24 PM

def. need more info to present any valid advice

LindenGarcia18 02-12-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 323887)
What is your age, height and weight?

5ft10 16 years old

LindenGarcia18 02-12-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 323892)
Hoooorray for pancakes!

Hey man, we need to change your mindset completely for you to achieve your goal.

A 6 pack on a starving guy weighing 100lbs is not cool other than in concentration camp and we dont want that, do we?

You need to eat to build muscle, and you need to eat alot more than you think. The "added weight" you spot in the mirror is probably just waterbloat and a full stomac from just eating. Its mostly a mental "feeling" of fatness youre experiencing - ignore it.

Eat, lift and dominate. Dont bother about cutting or bulking, focus on getting stronger and work your ass off, not missing a single day of lifting. On vacation? You have a lil brother or a dog or something? Press him overhead for reps whenever youre away from the barbell!

Dont worry about calories, macros or supplements! Just enjoy training and bust your ass.

Sound advice, thanks.
Its just that I want to see good results this year, and I feel as because you cant even see my abs already, How will I ever see them if I dont cut?
I thought the only way to do it was cut then bulk.

LindenGarcia18 02-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 323893)
def. need more info to present any valid advice

Im on a 5x5, eating 3000 calories a day.
Im 16 and I weigh 122 pounds, at 5 foot 10

BendtheBar 02-12-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 (Post 323894)
5ft10 16 years old

Are you 5'8" or 5'10"?

Teens should not consider calorie restriction unless they have a serious issue with obesity.

Eat mostly clean, whole, nutritious foods most of the time, and eat to satiety.

BendtheBar 02-12-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 (Post 323897)
Im on a 5x5, eating 3000 calories a day.
Im 16 and I weigh 122 pounds, at 5 foot 8

Stop counting calories and just start eating normally. Mostly clean, nutritious foods and plenty of them. Eat until satiety, then eat a little more. You are still growing. Listen to your body and eat when hungry.

You are headed down a bad (unhealthy) path right now worrying about your abs and calories at your age and weight.

You need to add muscle, get fit and healthy.