Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
dumberer
New Brawn
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

dumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good postsdumberer has made some good posts
Default Where to start?

I have never lifted before in my life. I have been the gym to work out, but never really used anything for weight lifting. Where would you recommend that I start? Should I start out with dumbbells until I get a bit stronger and then move on to other exercises?
dumberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumberer View Post
I have never lifted before in my life. I have been the gym to work out, but never really used anything for weight lifting. Where would you recommend that I start? Should I start out with dumbbells until I get a bit stronger and then move on to other exercises?
Definitely begin with DBs to build some base strength, as well as doing some bodyweight work push-ups, chin-ups etc, if possible. Progress slowly but surely.

If/when DBs become easy, shift to the barbell, though you can still do heavyweight DB work as well but they'll get you to the barbell weight as their initial usage.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumberer View Post
Welcome! To determine what will work best for you, first you need to decide what your goals are. Are you training for looks, strength, health, something else, or some combination thereof? Also, if you could tell us a little about yourself that would help.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It is now my belief that the best way to start is with bodyweight exercises.

How many push-ups can you do? Can you do 30 good, full-range push-ups without stopping? If not, just keep working on push-ups. No sense bench pressing if you can't even do push-ups. When you can do 30 good push-ups, then graduate to parallel bar dips, and from there to the bench press.

How about body squats? Can you do 50 picture-perfect squats with no weight added? If not, the body squats will help you strengthen muscles while safely working on form. Once you can do 50 body squats then you can graduate to goblet squats with a dumbbell and then on to barbell back squats.

Chin-ups are another quality bodyweight exercise that will build a lot of strength where you need it for more complex movements later on in your training. If you can't do several good full-range pull-ups, then start with inverted rows and be progressive by either creating a steeper angle or adding weight.

Round off the above three exercises with simple back raises that can eventually become stiff-legged deadlifts, and good 'ol fashioned sit-ups for a complete and effective full-body workout that you can do three days a week. As you progress into more complex exercises like bench, squats, pull-ups, Stiff-legged deadlifts and sit-ups, you'll have the makings of a fine full-body workout that can be expanded upon later as your strength and conditioning allows.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Off road makes many good points. Unfortunately, when you start out the things you should usually do often aren't the most interesting things.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Here you go.

The WeighTrainer - Beginners: Practical Starting Routines for The Drug-Free Trainee
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Please do not get bogged down with what program to do or what equipment to use. Just do it. I think from my limited experience that any of the ideas already mentioned are good, however I come from a back ground of construction type work and started right off with barbell 5x5 work out such as this Starting Strength Wiki

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hi, I'm a beginner too, but I can offer you one piece of advice.

Don't Over-think stuff.
This has been my biggest problem, and everyone on here has made me realize, that its really not that complicated.
I dont know if your that way inclined, but I think allot of beginners tend to do it.
The members here are very experienced and will be able to help you allot.

Good Luck!
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If not, just keep working on push-ups. No sense bench pressing if you can't even do push-ups.
A Bench Press can provide less resistance than a Push Up. So it makes perfect sense to start there.

Starting off with bodyweight makes very little sense in my eyes, a barbell provides small incremental loads and can start from as little as 20kg or less with training bars.

Where is all this coming from Offroad?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
spiritthief
New Brawn
Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MaxiMuscle Promax
spiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good posts

I was really fat and weak when I started strength training, I was nowhere NEAR to be able to do a SINGLE push-up, chin-up or dip. Bodyweight squats are ok I suppose.

I was doing DB/BB pushes and rows and negative chins (step up, release yourself as slow as possible) for upper body and I incorporated pushups and chinups later on when I had the strength.
spiritthief is offline   Reply With Quote