Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Where to start? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12436)

dumberer 02-08-2013 06:52 PM

Where to start?

I have never lifted before in my life. I have been the gym to work out, but never really used anything for weight lifting. Where would you recommend that I start? Should I start out with dumbbells until I get a bit stronger and then move on to other exercises?

5kgLifter 02-08-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumberer (Post 322502)
I have never lifted before in my life. I have been the gym to work out, but never really used anything for weight lifting. Where would you recommend that I start? Should I start out with dumbbells until I get a bit stronger and then move on to other exercises?

Definitely begin with DBs to build some base strength, as well as doing some bodyweight work push-ups, chin-ups etc, if possible. Progress slowly but surely.

If/when DBs become easy, shift to the barbell, though you can still do heavyweight DB work as well but they'll get you to the barbell weight as their initial usage.

Soldier 02-08-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumberer (Post 322502)

Welcome! To determine what will work best for you, first you need to decide what your goals are. Are you training for looks, strength, health, something else, or some combination thereof? Also, if you could tell us a little about yourself that would help.

Off Road 02-08-2013 07:13 PM

It is now my belief that the best way to start is with bodyweight exercises.

How many push-ups can you do? Can you do 30 good, full-range push-ups without stopping? If not, just keep working on push-ups. No sense bench pressing if you can't even do push-ups. When you can do 30 good push-ups, then graduate to parallel bar dips, and from there to the bench press.

How about body squats? Can you do 50 picture-perfect squats with no weight added? If not, the body squats will help you strengthen muscles while safely working on form. Once you can do 50 body squats then you can graduate to goblet squats with a dumbbell and then on to barbell back squats.

Chin-ups are another quality bodyweight exercise that will build a lot of strength where you need it for more complex movements later on in your training. If you can't do several good full-range pull-ups, then start with inverted rows and be progressive by either creating a steeper angle or adding weight.

Round off the above three exercises with simple back raises that can eventually become stiff-legged deadlifts, and good 'ol fashioned sit-ups for a complete and effective full-body workout that you can do three days a week. As you progress into more complex exercises like bench, squats, pull-ups, Stiff-legged deadlifts and sit-ups, you'll have the makings of a fine full-body workout that can be expanded upon later as your strength and conditioning allows.

Soldier 02-08-2013 07:31 PM

Off road makes many good points. Unfortunately, when you start out the things you should usually do often aren't the most interesting things.

Trevor Ross 02-08-2013 07:36 PM

Here you go.

The WeighTrainer - Beginners: Practical Starting Routines for The Drug-Free Trainee

Goat 02-08-2013 08:01 PM

Please do not get bogged down with what program to do or what equipment to use. Just do it. I think from my limited experience that any of the ideas already mentioned are good, however I come from a back ground of construction type work and started right off with barbell 5x5 work out such as this Starting Strength Wiki

LindenGarcia18 02-11-2013 04:53 AM

Hi, I'm a beginner too, but I can offer you one piece of advice.

Don't Over-think stuff.
This has been my biggest problem, and everyone on here has made me realize, that its really not that complicated.
I dont know if your that way inclined, but I think allot of beginners tend to do it.
The members here are very experienced and will be able to help you allot.

Good Luck!

Fazc 02-11-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 322513)
If not, just keep working on push-ups. No sense bench pressing if you can't even do push-ups.

A Bench Press can provide less resistance than a Push Up. So it makes perfect sense to start there.

Starting off with bodyweight makes very little sense in my eyes, a barbell provides small incremental loads and can start from as little as 20kg or less with training bars.

Where is all this coming from Offroad?

spiritthief 02-11-2013 06:13 AM

I was really fat and weak when I started strength training, I was nowhere NEAR to be able to do a SINGLE push-up, chin-up or dip. Bodyweight squats are ok I suppose.

I was doing DB/BB pushes and rows and negative chins (step up, release yourself as slow as possible) for upper body and I incorporated pushups and chinups later on when I had the strength.