Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   5X5 Dilemma (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12404)

LindenGarcia18 02-05-2013 07:21 AM

5X5 Dilemma

came across some new info today about training frequency and how often you should train each body part a week.
Im now wondering weather I should switch to a full body 3 times a week 5x5, or stick with my push/pul/legs 5x5 split.

Studies show that the average muscle repairs within 48 hours, therefor in theory i'd be recruiting more muscle fibers if I switched to doing full body, 3 times a week.
I'd be leaving 48 hours rest before I trained the muscle group again, as apposed to leaving an entire weak before I hit the same muscle group again with my current split.

How do I determine which to stick with?
It looks like I could be producing more muscle gains if I train more frequently in the week but I'm not sure.
Should I train if I'm still sore?

Off Road 02-05-2013 08:44 AM

The three day a week full-body has proven to probably be the best routine for beginners, it gives you the most opportunities to be progressive. I actually prefer a three day a week push/pull or upper/lower for beginners, or possibly a two day a week full-body, but I tend to err on the side of recovery a bit more than others. But really, 10 years from now it will make little difference. Do what you enjoy and you will put your energy into it because consistency is more important than the split you use. Like I said in the other posts, Get the big things right and don't worry so much about the little things; use big compound lifts, put in a lot of effort, be progressive, be consistent, and eat towards your goals. Learning more is a great tool as long as you don't let it change your routine or start questioning the basics. It's been said many times that consistency on a bad routine is far better than inconsistency on the best routine.

themaster2981 02-05-2013 08:54 AM

Off road is right, full body routine, 3 days a week has given me good results as well.

jdmalm123 02-05-2013 09:05 AM

The full body 5x5 is a great routine and you'l get used to it quickly. You can start by reducing your weights a little and taking 1-2 weeks to work back up to current levels just to be sure you don't hammer yourself too hard out of the gate.

What is does your current routine look like?

If you are doing a lot of assistance moves/volume now, you might need to reduce some of that if you switch (depending on your work capacity).

Also, is your primary goal pure strength in the SQ, DL, BP, MP or are you less concerned about weights lifted and focused more on pure bodybuilding?

Off Road 02-05-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 (Post 321036)
Should I train if I'm still sore?

Oh ya, I kind of glanced right over this part. Soreness means very little other than you are just sore and getting used to the exercises. BtB (Steve) recently put up a good post about soreness and DOMs, but I'm too lazy to go look for it. You can train when you are sore, in fact some training will help relieve the soreness, as long as the soreness isn't part of an injury.

BendtheBar 02-05-2013 10:24 AM

It basically said that soreness was an indicator of connective tissue inflammation and not related to muscle tissue inflammation. Bottom line, soreness doesn't mean a muscle isn't recovered and can't perform. It simply means the connective tissue is still recovering.

So, it's ok to train, because a muscle can still benefit from it. With that said, if you are consistently sore on Wednesday from Monday's workout, then it might be beneficial to use more of an HLM approach just to give the joints and connective tissue more recovery time while still working the muscles.

Monday - Heavy
Wednesday - Light
Friday - Moderate

LindenGarcia18 02-05-2013 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips once again :)

LindenGarcia18 02-05-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 (Post 321055)
The full body 5x5 is a great routine and you'l get used to it quickly. You can start by reducing your weights a little and taking 1-2 weeks to work back up to current levels just to be sure you don't hammer yourself too hard out of the gate.

What is does your current routine look like?

If you are doing a lot of assistance moves/volume now, you might need to reduce some of that if you switch (depending on your work capacity).

Also, is your primary goal pure strength in the SQ, DL, BP, MP or are you less concerned about weights lifted and focused more on pure bodybuilding?

Monday: Chest,Triceps and Shoulders.
.Flat bench-5x5
.Incline bench-5x5
.Dips-5x5
.Military press-5x5

Tuesday- day off

Wednesday- Legs
.Barbell squat-5x5
.Plyometric jump squats-4 sets until failiure
.Bulgarian split squats- 3x5

Thursday- day off

Friday- back and biceps
.Deadlift- 5x5
.Chin ups or bicep curls- 5x5
.Bent over rows - 5x5
.Lat pull downs or pull ups- 5x5

Saturday- day off

Then start over on sunday.

To be honest my goal is both. Be strong and big :)

leefarley 02-05-2013 02:06 PM

i would go for a fullbody 3xtimes a week.

WilldBill88 02-05-2013 02:59 PM

I had success with a full body 5x5 split, 3x a week.