Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Fullbody workouts HIT style? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12379)

70sBB 02-02-2013 11:17 AM

Fullbody workouts HIT style?

I have been running a fullbody workout for over 8 months right now and am making what I consider good progress. Would it be ok for me to experiment with adding in more exercises per day? Right now I do 2 or 3 big exercises to start a training day and no more than 5 lifts total. I've seen the Steve Reeve's type of workouts with more exercises and they look fun.

Would it be ok to add exercises but drop sets per exercise for a while?

Soldier 02-02-2013 11:25 AM

Absolutely. In another thread Fazc talked about a program he did where he did a fullbody workout 3 times a week with 10x3 for every exercise and tons of different movements, all done in about an hour with very little rest between sets.

Experiment with it. If your goal is bodybuilding, then HIT style workouts with lots of different exercises could work very well with fullbody training. Going fullbody is a great way to experiment with increasing your frequency on each bodypart, and figuring out what type of frequency works for you will be great to move forward in your training.

Off Road 02-02-2013 11:39 AM

Add stuff SLOWLY! Don't mess (too much) with something that's working well.

Soldier 02-02-2013 11:52 AM

You've inspired me. I thought I'd come up with a plan for what I would do if I wanted to try what you're talking about.
High bar, close stance squat- Work to a heavy set of 7-10
Bench press- Work up to a heavy set of 7-10
All other exercises done to failure at 10-20 reps, with a second set performed if the weight is not enough to reach failure by 20.
leg curls
chest supported or T-bar rows
calf press
upright rows
leg extensions
close grip rows
SLDL
Overhead press (mechanical drop set, starting with strict form and fading into a push press to get a few extra reps)
Leg press- 20-40 reps
Chin ups
loaded walking lunges

Wow, I'm getting a pump just thinking about a workout like this.

sleepingdog 02-02-2013 12:24 PM

I tried out the HIIT 100s routine from the "forum which will not be named" and saw some great fat loss in 6 weeks. I wouldn't call it great "gains" in strength, as I'm just working back to previous strength, but the workouts were killer to say the least.

Soldier 02-02-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingdog (Post 320081)
I tried out the HIIT 100s routine from the "forum which will not be named" and saw some great fat loss in 6 weeks. I wouldn't call it great "gains" in strength, as I'm just working back to previous strength, but the workouts were killer to say the least.

I believe the op is referencing Mentzer or Yates style high intenstiy training, which is doing a single, high intensity set for each exercise, as opposed to HIIT, which is cardio with intervals.

SeventySeven 02-02-2013 02:24 PM

Soldier, why no direct arm work?

sleepingdog 02-02-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 320105)
I believe the op is referencing Mentzer or Yates style high intenstiy training, which is doing a single, high intensity set for each exercise, as opposed to HIIT, which is cardio with intervals.

Learned something new.

Soldier 02-02-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventySeven (Post 320121)
Soldier, why no direct arm work?

I would have thrown in some curls, but honestly I get more biceps and forearm action from chinups, or any overhead pulling movement. I was just saying what I would personally do if I was going to go with the idea of a full body HIT program. Definitely no reason not to finish with some curls, overhead extensions, rope extensions, whatever you'd want.

Off Road 02-03-2013 12:54 PM

Just an idea for a beginner or somebody that's been doing a very abbreviated HIT routine,

Start with. . .

Squats- 1 x 20
Bench- 2 x 12-15
Rows- 1 x 12-15

Every 2 or 3 weeks add (one):

S.l.d.l.- 1 x 12-15
Press- 1 x 12-15
Curls- 1 x 12-15
Calves- 1 x 20-25
Gut, neck and grip