Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

I am just going to continue to update this thread with my thoughts on the subject.

- I could do an H/L/M. Something like this:
The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains | Muscle & Strength
I've actually used it before. This may be the change I am looking for.

- German Volume Training. Something like this:
German Volume Training for Shocking Muscle Growth | Muscle & Strength

- Maybe I should just swallow my pride a bit and completely reset 5/3/1. Drop everything back to 90% of what it currently is, despite having reset the squat a few cycles ago. And the deadlifts, I don't know what I would do with them. I really don't like the 5/3/1 protocol for deadlifting. Anything over 3 reps sets on the deadlift is just too much for me. So If I was going to go this route, when I did start deadlifting again, it would be programmed outside of the confines of 5/3/1.

- I read this somewhere this evening:
The best way to prevent muscle loss when losing weight is to focus on maintaining strength. If you do what makes you strong and focus on progression, you will maintain mass.
How true is this?

Am I over thinking this? Maybe. Losing weight is a completely foreign endeavour to me. I have never attempted it before and really have no experience to lean on. On top of that I am a bit OCD at times about lifting....
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 01-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
ehubbard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 823
Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Reputation: 99938
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast
Default

Deleted
__________________
Raw Elite Total at 308

Last edited by ehubbard; 01-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
ehubbard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 823
Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Reputation: 99938
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast
Default

Eat plenty of healthy fats. I know when I eat low carb I have to adjust the calories up in order to maintain weight so you may want to be careful with lowering your total calories.

Have you thought about a block periodization style of program? You could set it up so many ways. Since your are kind of mentally beat you could do a nice long accumulation block and keep the weights light.

The best thing you can do is to learn how to program training for yourself.
__________________
Raw Elite Total at 308
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
I WILL
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
I WILL's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,750
Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 230729
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member
Default

I know I am still pretty new to the site, but I plan on sticking around, so I thought I will throw in my 2 cents as well.

As for weight loss focus on keeping your calories clean. (I feel like I am going to get FLOGGED for saying that!) DUCK! I can help you some if you would like just PM me.

From reading your post seems like you might be 'forcing' yourself to keep @ the 5/3/1. Currently I am doing the GVT. You might want to consider it. You don't have to think about the weight so much. Starts off very light but by the final sets you are praying it is over!

My forte' is more with the weightloss, but same rule applies if you don't like what you are eating or doing as far as training you won't succeed. So whatever you choose make sure you like it!
__________________
"When you walk up to opportunities door, don't knock it..kick that b*tch in, smile and introduce yourself." Dwayne Johnson

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
jdmalm123's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,883
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
Reputation: 405098
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
So If I was going to go this route, when I did start deadlifting again, it would be programmed outside of the confines of 5/3/1.
I like all your thoughts, but will focus on this one...

I have had program ADHD often....everything's good, then one lift sucks, so I'd scrap everything and get a totally new program, goal, etc...

So, if your bench and squat are progressing on 5/3/1 but the DL isn't, then only scrap the DL portion and keep the other parts that are working and doable. Just make sure your DL program is in balance with the other portions so it doesn't cause the bench/squat to suffer...

IMO, do the least work and make the fewest changes to keep your progress going.
__________________
Balance
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Eat plenty of healthy fats. I know when I eat low carb I have to adjust the calories up in order to maintain weight so you may want to be careful with lowering your total calories.

Have you thought about a block periodization style of program? You could set it up so many ways. Since your are kind of mentally beat you could do a nice long accumulation block and keep the weights light.

The best thing you can do is to learn how to program training for yourself.
I have made sure to eat more protiens and fats to compensate for a portion of the calories lost by cutting carbs. I am careful not to eat to little. To much hard work went into the progress I have made and I am afraid to lose it.
I will do myself a favor and do some research on block periodization.
I used to try to do my own routines, but I've grown accustomed over the past few years to doing the routines of those bigger and stronger than myself.
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
Fazc
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 5,554
Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Reputation: 420568
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I used to try to do my own routines, but I've grown accustomed over the past few years to doing the routines of those bigger and stronger than myself.
In my opinion, this is ultimately self-defeating and one of the key things I dislike tremendously about 5/3/1.

By it's very nature, and that of these types of routines, it's highly prescriptive and ends up teaching you very little about what is effective training after 5/3/1. Teaching you very little about a proper yearly plan, and the infrequent nature of the lifts leaves you with poor weekly conditioning and ripe for injuries.

I'm sure people reading this will want to refute the point. That's fine. This isn't something I want to even argue at this point since one or two examples and a convincing argument aren't going to change my mind. I've seen this pattern played out far too many times. If something other than a convincing argument comes along, like a consistent string of good long-term results, then I will consider changing my mind on it. For now I'll stick to my prior opinion on it.

It's basically the McDonald's of routines out there, might be convenient and acceptable in the short-term but it is no good for you in the long haul.

Long-term, It's a 'nothing' routine.

Last edited by Fazc; 01-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
I know I am still pretty new to the site, but I plan on sticking around, so I thought I will throw in my 2 cents as well.

As for weight loss focus on keeping your calories clean. (I feel like I am going to get FLOGGED for saying that!) DUCK! I can help you some if you would like just PM me.

From reading your post seems like you might be 'forcing' yourself to keep @ the 5/3/1. Currently I am doing the GVT. You might want to consider it. You don't have to think about the weight so much. Starts off very light but by the final sets you are praying it is over!

My forte' is more with the weightloss, but same rule applies if you don't like what you are eating or doing as far as training you won't succeed. So whatever you choose make sure you like it!
I appreciate you taking the time to throw in your 2 cents. Thank you.
GVT is certainly an option I am considering. Where did you get your info on GVT? Do you maybe have a link or something, if it's not to much trouble?
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
ehubbard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 823
Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Reputation: 99938
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I have made sure to eat more protiens and fats to compensate for a portion of the calories lost by cutting carbs. I am careful not to eat to little. To much hard work went into the progress I have made and I am afraid to lose it.
I will do myself a favor and do some research on block periodization.
I used to try to do my own routines, but I've grown accustomed over the past few years to doing the routines of those bigger and stronger than myself.
There are some articles on elitefts about it. One or two from Gabriel Napinski(sp?) and a bench of stuff from Jeremy Frey.
__________________
Raw Elite Total at 308
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
In my opinion, this is ultimately self-defeating and one of the key things I dislike tremendously about 5/3/1.
I think clearly there are 2 sides to this opinion. However, this is not a debate thread and you have your valid points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
By it's very nature, and that of these types of routines, it's highly prescriptive and ends up teaching you very little about what is effective training after 5/3/1. Teaching you very little about a proper yearly plan, and the infrequent nature of the lifts leaves you with poor weekly conditioning and ripe for injuries.

I'm sure people reading this will want to refute the point. That's fine. This isn't something I want to even argue at this point since one or two examples and a convincing argument aren't going to change my mind. I've seen this pattern played out far too many times. If something other than a convincing argument comes along, like a consistent string of good long-term results, then I will consider changing my mind on it. For now I'll stick to my prior opinion on it.

It's basically the McDonald's of routines out there, might be convenient and acceptable in the short-term but it is no good for you in the long haul.

Long-term, It's a 'nothing' routine.
You have a strong opinion on what I shouldn't do, I am interested in reading about what you think I should do to move forward, with my current goals in mind.
Admittedly, I am at a place right now where I am not looking at a long term muscle and strength gain program so much as I am looking for a short term (2-4 month) routine to give me a break from chasing numbers on a spreedsheet and assist me with maintaining as I lose weight. This may or may not be something that you have any interest in.
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
change, cycles, time


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time for a change? BendtheBar General Board 8 07-26-2012 02:45 PM
Mini-Cycles BendtheBar Articles 3 11-22-2011 09:30 AM
Time for a change BendtheBar Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 11 02-23-2011 11:22 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.