Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I think the goal and path has to be both strength and size. I've learned that size does follow strength. The only caveat I'd add (and it's a small one) is working around and through chronic injuries.

I'm 240# and not as strong as I look (Although I might be stronger than I think I am). My back is complete shit and my right forearm and bicep rebel on me now even with rows.

As such, I haven't pushed hard for more strength in over 8 months because every time I feel better and do, I re-injure something. Surprisingly, I also haven't grown much recently, although I have done a decent job of maintaining my size.

So at this point, for me, it's all about how hard can I train to maintain what I've built this far and whether and to what degree, I can add any additional mass with a moderate weight/higher rep approach.

I'm not saying someone should begin training like this, just that this approach is where time and injuries have placed me.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I agree with Jay and Mike...I started out looking to lose weight and get bigger muscles....then, I also liked the feeling when I lifted heavy (for me anyway) weights, I have since taken a "get stronger" approach. The fact that I am still getting bigger muscles is a pleaseant side effect!!!

I will say more people comment on my increased muscle size than do about how much stronger I am.

I am now leaning to try to find the best combo of both strength and size....not only do I want to look like I can pick up a fridge, I want to be able to do it!

Now, that being said, strength gains will ALWAYS be my top priority!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Environment may play a factor in it as well. Call it weak will if you want, but if you're the only PLer in a gym full of BB types, you don't think you'll look over sometime and think, damn, those traps (or other) are insane, maybe someday I'll shift my focus for a little while...

I've got back envy. I'm a small guy, but I carry most of my BF as a spare tire. I'll probably never compete in a BB comp, but I would love to get some PL meets under my belt. That said, I secretly would like someone to envy the product of my hard work, and the aesthetic results require no bragging.
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote