Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #21
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I watched 10 minutes and just got annoyed by McCarthy's smug attitude. He really has the typical unfounded arrogance of the modern teen. He reminds me so much of the kids in college when I returned in 2006 and was 6-7 older than all of them. So many strong opinions, so little ability to view other people's perspectives.
Mind you, I had many strong 'opinions' as a teenager as well. It took me a while to realise that I didn't know much about anything, perhaps this fella will mature as he gains more experience and be less inclined to shoot down everything he doesn't agree with. At a guess, I'd say many of McCarthy's 'followers' are in the 16-25 bracket.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
What a douchebag.

That was just a "let me show off in front of my adversary" BS vid.

He felt intimidated by Mike. You can tell b/c he was fumbling, mis-speaking and apologizing...

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Irrelevant.
i watched some of it again and yeah he bite off more then he could chew it was a laugh watching it
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

I think Dave handled the whole thing very graciously! The kid made a fool of himself! Yes there was a lot of 'BLAH BLAH BLAH' Seriously i would have more regrets not trying something than going for it! Isn't that is what life is all about? Sad comment trying to help people from 'wasting time' In a few years he will look back and be embarrassed...just my 2 cents

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

What got from it, deep down, was that McCarthy was concerned about people giving up something in order to pursue something else, having laready shown a lot of aptitude in their first choice, i.e. the university student he spoke of...I think that's what's really bugging him...even though, I don't recall that the university kid went into bodybuilding or at least I don't recall whether he mentioned that but it did seem to be his major hang-up, since that's what he jumped on when he was asked by what he meant (I watched it a few days ago, so can't remember the exact question either ) by Dave (?? ).

To sum up, he disagrees with people being influenced or motivated by others to do something he feels they shouldn't be doing, even though we've all heard of successes, not just in the bodybuilding realm but in other areas, singers, actors, who all pursued their dream when nobody else thought they would or could make it in that field.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
What got from it, deep down, was that McCarthy was concerned about people giving up something in order to pursue something else, having laready shown a lot of aptitude in their first choice, i.e. the university student he spoke of...I think that's what's really bugging him...even though, I don't recall that the university kid went into bodybuilding or at least I don't recall whether he mentioned that but it did seem to be his major hang-up, since that's what he jumped on when he was asked by what he meant (I watched it a few days ago, so can't remember the exact question either ) by Dave (?? ).

To sum up, he disagrees with people being influenced or motivated by others to do something he feels they shouldn't be doing, even though we've all heard of successes, not just in the bodybuilding realm but in other areas, singers, actors, who all pursued their dream when nobody else thought they would or could make it in that field.
I see this as him telling everyone that at the age of 23 or whatever, he knows what is best for them. I know plenty of people without degrees who are successful. One of the directors of my company left school at 16. I put it down to the arrogance of youth.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

What I got from that was, McCarthy's a DICK!

Do a Pubmed search for "McCarthy's an asshole" and you get loads of studies supporting this. Serious (kinda).
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good thoughts in here.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
I only needed 15 seconds to form my opinion. Before you can make yourself an "authority" on Bodybuilding, you have to build a body first.
Why?

Making muscles grow is just another biological process.

To know about suntanning, I don't need to be the brownest white guy on the beach. To be an authority on serial killers, I don't need to have murdered a bunch of people.

What matters is quality of observation (real world, lab study, whatever) and quality of argument. All the rest is ad hominem stuff.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
To know about suntanning, I don't need to be the brownest guy on the beach. .
For what it's worth, any tanning questions can be directed to me.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
For what it's worth, any tanning questions can be directed to me.
Just because you have better tanning genetics doesn't mean you know how to tan!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote