Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Is sugar a cause of fat?? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12071)

renroz 12-31-2012 01:08 AM

Is sugar a cause of fat??

Hey friends do you think Sugar is a cause of fats?

Davis 12-31-2012 02:20 AM

Are you asking "Does sugar make you fat?", "Does sugar cause fats in food?", or "Is sugar from fat?". I've read it those three ways, so I'll attempt to answer all three ways.

1. Does sugar make you fat? Not necessarily. It primarily comes down to how many calories. Shoot, a guy lost a pretty good amount of weight eating virtually nothing but Twinkies a couple years ago. Can it cause you to get fat? Certainly, as can everything else a person eats.

2. Does sugar cause fats in food? I guess maybe if the animals ate a lot of sugar. However, sugar itself doesn't make fat, the body does. (Now that I'm answering these last two, I'm thinking you were probably just asking "does sugar make you fat".)

3. Does sugar come from fats? Nope. Although, your body can and does convert fat into glucose(sugar) to use as energy- but does sugar actually come from fat? No. (Again, I'm almost certain at this point, that answering these last two questions was pointless, but I'll post them anyways.)

To go on from question one, sugar by itself can raise insulin levels quite a bit, and high insulin levels over a long time can lead to increased body fat and eventually diabetes depending on how much sugar is being consumed and how frequently a lot of sugar is consumed.

(For those who know more about nutrition, feel free to correct me)

5kgLifter 12-31-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renroz (Post 306786)
Hey friends do you think Sugar is a cause of fats?

Excess sugar is converted to fat...like Davis, I'm not exactly sure what your question is.

Tannhauser 12-31-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davis (Post 306799)
Are you asking "Does sugar make you fat?", "Does sugar cause fats in food?", or "Is sugar from fat?". I've read it those three ways, so I'll attempt to answer all three ways.

1. Does sugar make you fat? Not necessarily. It primarily comes down to how many calories. Shoot, a guy lost a pretty good amount of weight eating virtually nothing but Twinkies a couple years ago. Can it cause you to get fat? Certainly, as can everything else a person eats.

2. Does sugar cause fats in food? I guess maybe if the animals ate a lot of sugar. However, sugar itself doesn't make fat, the body does. (Now that I'm answering these last two, I'm thinking you were probably just asking "does sugar make you fat".)

3. Does sugar come from fats? Nope. Although, your body can and does convert fat into glucose(sugar) to use as energy- but does sugar actually come from fat? No. (Again, I'm almost certain at this point, that answering these last two questions was pointless, but I'll post them anyways.)

To go on from question one, sugar by itself can raise insulin levels quite a bit, and high insulin levels over a long time can lead to increased body fat and eventually diabetes depending on how much sugar is being consumed and how frequently a lot of sugar is consumed.

(For those who know more about nutrition, feel free to correct me)

Fantastic post.

BendtheBar 12-31-2012 10:08 AM

In 1989 I decided to knock off 20 pounds. I cut fat eating this every day for 6 weeks. I kid you not.

Morning: Box (yes a box) of Little Debbie Snack Cakes with 20 ounces of milk.

Evening: Bag of tortillo chips with a jar of salsa.

I know cutting on over 3500 calories per day sounds crazy, but I was young. Point being, I ate virtually nothing but white sugar and processed chips and lost weight.

Bill 12-31-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 306884)
In 1989 I decided to knock off 20 pounds. I cut fat eating this every day for 6 weeks. I kid you not.

I know cutting on over 3500 calories per day sounds crazy, but I was young. Point being, I ate virtually nothing but white sugar and processed chips and lost weight.

Did you lose muscle or fat?

gymjunkie 12-31-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 306884)

I would have never thought that eating that could help you loss weight. That is odd that you can lose that much weight eating crap like that. Amazing.

5kgLifter 12-31-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymjunkie (Post 306938)
I would have never thought that eating that could help you loss weight. That is odd that you can lose that much weight eating crap like that. Amazing.

It only comes down to calories, as long as it's not over the required amount, you could drink oil and get away with it.

BendtheBar 12-31-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 306940)
you could drink oil and get away with it.

^ Yup.

5kgLifter 12-31-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 307002)
^ Yup.

I saw a guy do that, it made me wanna boff...He was doing a cycle around the world on his tandem and picking up people along route that wanted to tandem up with him, and he got to one point with only a bottle of olive oil left and started chugging it back like a lager...:eek: he was stick thin due to the cycling though and needed more calories than the bottle afforded him anyway.