Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
renroz
Banned
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Reputation: 10
renroz is off to a bad start
Default Is sugar a cause of fat??

Hey friends do you think Sugar is a cause of fats?
renroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Davis
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Davis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 746
Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Reputation: 54259
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default

Are you asking "Does sugar make you fat?", "Does sugar cause fats in food?", or "Is sugar from fat?". I've read it those three ways, so I'll attempt to answer all three ways.

1. Does sugar make you fat? Not necessarily. It primarily comes down to how many calories. Shoot, a guy lost a pretty good amount of weight eating virtually nothing but Twinkies a couple years ago. Can it cause you to get fat? Certainly, as can everything else a person eats.

2. Does sugar cause fats in food? I guess maybe if the animals ate a lot of sugar. However, sugar itself doesn't make fat, the body does. (Now that I'm answering these last two, I'm thinking you were probably just asking "does sugar make you fat".)

3. Does sugar come from fats? Nope. Although, your body can and does convert fat into glucose(sugar) to use as energy- but does sugar actually come from fat? No. (Again, I'm almost certain at this point, that answering these last two questions was pointless, but I'll post them anyways.)

To go on from question one, sugar by itself can raise insulin levels quite a bit, and high insulin levels over a long time can lead to increased body fat and eventually diabetes depending on how much sugar is being consumed and how frequently a lot of sugar is consumed.

(For those who know more about nutrition, feel free to correct me)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,927
Training Type: Other
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renroz View Post
Hey friends do you think Sugar is a cause of fats?
Excess sugar is converted to fat...like Davis, I'm not exactly sure what your question is.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Tannhauser
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
 
Tannhauser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 3,135
Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Reputation: 355223
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Are you asking "Does sugar make you fat?", "Does sugar cause fats in food?", or "Is sugar from fat?". I've read it those three ways, so I'll attempt to answer all three ways.

1. Does sugar make you fat? Not necessarily. It primarily comes down to how many calories. Shoot, a guy lost a pretty good amount of weight eating virtually nothing but Twinkies a couple years ago. Can it cause you to get fat? Certainly, as can everything else a person eats.

2. Does sugar cause fats in food? I guess maybe if the animals ate a lot of sugar. However, sugar itself doesn't make fat, the body does. (Now that I'm answering these last two, I'm thinking you were probably just asking "does sugar make you fat".)

3. Does sugar come from fats? Nope. Although, your body can and does convert fat into glucose(sugar) to use as energy- but does sugar actually come from fat? No. (Again, I'm almost certain at this point, that answering these last two questions was pointless, but I'll post them anyways.)

To go on from question one, sugar by itself can raise insulin levels quite a bit, and high insulin levels over a long time can lead to increased body fat and eventually diabetes depending on how much sugar is being consumed and how frequently a lot of sugar is consumed.

(For those who know more about nutrition, feel free to correct me)
Fantastic post.
__________________
Lifetime PRs

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,944
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2584002
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

In 1989 I decided to knock off 20 pounds. I cut fat eating this every day for 6 weeks. I kid you not.

Morning: Box (yes a box) of Little Debbie Snack Cakes with 20 ounces of milk.

Evening: Bag of tortillo chips with a jar of salsa.

I know cutting on over 3500 calories per day sounds crazy, but I was young. Point being, I ate virtually nothing but white sugar and processed chips and lost weight.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Bill
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 824
Reputation: 28376
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
In 1989 I decided to knock off 20 pounds. I cut fat eating this every day for 6 weeks. I kid you not.

Morning: Box (yes a box) of Little Debbie Snack Cakes with 20 ounces of milk.

Evening: Bag of tortillo chips with a jar of salsa.

I know cutting on over 3500 calories per day sounds crazy, but I was young. Point being, I ate virtually nothing but white sugar and processed chips and lost weight.
Did you lose muscle or fat?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
gymjunkie
Junior Member
New Brawn
Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Reputation: 510
gymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
In 1989 I decided to knock off 20 pounds. I cut fat eating this every day for 6 weeks. I kid you not.

Morning: Box (yes a box) of Little Debbie Snack Cakes with 20 ounces of milk.

Evening: Bag of tortillo chips with a jar of salsa.

I know cutting on over 3500 calories per day sounds crazy, but I was young. Point being, I ate virtually nothing but white sugar and processed chips and lost weight.
I would have never thought that eating that could help you loss weight. That is odd that you can lose that much weight eating crap like that. Amazing.
gymjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,927
Training Type: Other
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymjunkie View Post
I would have never thought that eating that could help you loss weight. That is odd that you can lose that much weight eating crap like that. Amazing.
It only comes down to calories, as long as it's not over the required amount, you could drink oil and get away with it.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,944
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2584002
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
you could drink oil and get away with it.
^ Yup.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,927
Training Type: Other
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ Yup.
I saw a guy do that, it made me wanna boff...He was doing a cycle around the world on his tandem and picking up people along route that wanted to tandem up with him, and he got to one point with only a bottle of olive oil left and started chugging it back like a lager... he was stick thin due to the cycling though and needed more calories than the bottle afforded him anyway.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fat, sugar


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar fact gorillablood General Fitness & Health 13 08-20-2012 06:31 PM
Honey or sugar sirlulzbody Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 6 04-06-2012 03:10 PM
Sugar! tank Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 4 04-05-2012 01:29 PM
Too much sugar angie828 Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 9 01-12-2012 04:00 PM
Low Sugar Ketchup BendtheBar Low Carb & Paleo Diet 0 08-01-2011 12:44 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.