Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

There is absolutely no way I could lose track of time on a treadmill, I'd watch each and every passing second until I could climb off that blasted machine.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
There is absolutely no way I could lose track of time on a treadmill, I'd watch each and every passing second until I could climb off that blasted machine.
Ditto. Seconds are like hours. Like dripping hot wax on my bare flesh.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

While I certainly, see your point on the need to shut up and train; you, come off as rather condescending. You do not own the gym and you do not have the right to dictate what anyone's training routine is, other than your own.

- 2 -Hour training sessions may not be the norm but in many cases, they suit the training needs (there are those words again) of many lifters.
I myself do a full body routine, which usually includes 15 mins of cardio and at least 5 sets of 5 exercises. Those alone make up for at least 25 minutes assuming only one minute between each set and not counting the actual rep time. Already, our time would be at 40 minutes plus. (Closer to 60 with warm ups). Add in some conditioning and / or abs work and 1.5 to 1.75 hours is not really a stretch.

-This does not account for extended rest periods, stop pause reps, time legitimately waiting on equipment, etc... Contrary to what Mentzer said, it is not always possible to blast it all away in 45 minutes or less.

I agree less time on phones (I actually think cells should be against the rules in most settings barring emergencies but...) and more time under the bar. BUT- that does not mean there cannot be camaraderie and social aspect to training time- this ain't prison (for most of us, anyway).

If you cannot interact with at least one or two people on occasion - you may want to evaluate your social skills.(Or lack, thereof)

That does not mean have a 40-minute chat fest but a few minutes between sets is probably not going to hurt the average trainer.

Just one man's humble opinion.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
FrankieTowers
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats, Deadlifts
FrankieTowers is off to a good startFrankieTowers is off to a good startFrankieTowers is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
While I certainly, see your point on the need to shut up and train; you, come off as rather condescending. You do not own the gym and you do not have the right to dictate what anyone's training routine is, other than your own.

- 2 -Hour training sessions may not be the norm but in many cases, they suit the training needs (there are those words again) of many lifters.
I myself do a full body routine, which usually includes 15 mins of cardio and at least 5 sets of 5 exercises. Those alone make up for at least 25 minutes assuming only one minute between each set and not counting the actual rep time. Already, our time would be at 40 minutes plus. (Closer to 60 with warm ups). Add in some conditioning and / or abs work and 1.5 to 1.75 hours is not really a stretch.

-This does not account for extended rest periods, stop pause reps, time legitimately waiting on equipment, etc... Contrary to what Mentzer said, it is not always possible to blast it all away in 45 minutes or less.

I agree less time on phones (I actually think cells should be against the rules in most settings barring emergencies but...) and more time under the bar. BUT- that does not mean there cannot be camaraderie and social aspect to training time- this ain't prison (for most of us, anyway).

If you cannot interact with at least one or two people on occasion - you may want to evaluate your social skills.(Or lack, thereof)

That does not mean have a 40-minute chat fest but a few minutes between sets is probably not going to hurt the average trainer.

Just one man's humble opinion.
Yes, you are right in all you said. And I didn't mean to sound like I want people to do what I say in the opening post.

I just wanted to give some advice to those beginning to train so they can manage their time in the gym effectively. I didn't mean to sound bossy at all. So if my message sounded like that I apologize.

I should have also make it clear that some training sessions like full-body workouts may require 2 hours or more. I was referring to split workouts though.

Also, I didn't mean to sound like there should be no social interaction in the gym. Of course, everyone needs that. What I meant was extended periods of chatting and getting distracted from your workout.

I do have an excellent social life - just in case haha...

It's all a matter of moderation and focus. That was my point when making this thread. I guess I wasn't clear enough.
FrankieTowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I have taken my mobile phone in only for the purposes of using its camera to record whether or not my squats have hit depth!

One of the funniest things I have seen with a mobile in the gym was a guy curling a dumbbell with one arm and using his mobile phone with the other

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I am just glad and blessed to be able to train in a real powerlifting/strongman/Oly gym with real dedicated and serious trainers, coaches and competitors. (The Crew) Even better is the fact there are 10 women on the team who are also top notch lifters.

No curl brahs either. The female soccer team also trains there! All the issues that seem to plague commercial gyms are non-existent there.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I have taken my mobile phone in only for the purposes of using its camera to record whether or not my squats have hit depth!

One of the funniest things I have seen with a mobile in the gym was a guy curling a dumbbell with one arm and using his mobile phone with the other
He was resting his arm between sets
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I once saw a guy doing leg extensions with 10 pounds for an hour, all the while texting to Lord knows who.

True story.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
FrankieTowers
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats, Deadlifts
FrankieTowers is off to a good startFrankieTowers is off to a good startFrankieTowers is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Lol! Yeah, I saw the same thing in the last gym I used to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I am just glad and blessed to be able to train in a real powerlifting/strongman/Oly gym with real dedicated and serious trainers, coaches and competitors. (The Crew) Even better is the fact there are 10 women on the team who are also top notch lifters.

No curl brahs either. The female soccer team also trains there! All the issues that seem to plague commercial gyms are non-existent there.
That's the best kind of gym. You get inspired, motivated and there's the spirit of competition around to help you keep pushing yourself forward (the good type of competition - not envy involved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I once saw a guy doing leg extensions with 10 pounds for an hour, all the while texting to Lord knows who.

True story.
Lol! This is what I mean when there's a need to leave the phone away. It's too much of a distraction for some people.
FrankieTowers is offline   Reply With Quote