Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

This thread confused my muscles so much, I went out to do a Bench Press today. I laid down, and then performed a Bent Row.

Don't ask me how...
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I confuse my muscles with Zumba.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
This thread confused my muscles so much, I went out to do a Bench Press today. I laid down, and then performed a Bent Row.

Don't ask me how...
Good one Facz...no, actually a great one!!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I confuse my muscles every time I work out...thay are always wondering why in the world I do this again after all the pain from last time....

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
why do so many guys talk about confusing the muscles ?
1) Programs like P90X prop up "muscle confusion" as the Holy Grail.

2) Lifters panic when gains naturally slow, and get it in their heads that muscle confusion is going to magically reignite gains. A lot of this nonsense comes from the muscle mags.

Quote:
wouldnt it make more sense for the muscles to know that we want them to get bigger and stronger ?
Muscles respond to imposed demands, and adapt as efficiently as possible.

When I squat, I no longer get sore. When I walk 100 yards uphill, my legs get sore. (I have a hill like this outside my house)

They key is to give the muscles the proper stimulus that will encourage the response we are after. If I add drop sets today, I might be sore tomorrow. If I do not add weight, my body will adapt to drop sets very quickly.

What does this tell us?

1) Introducing a unique form of stimulus will probably make us sore, leading to the belief that it did something magical, and that we are building new muscle, when perhaps neither is true. My soreness from walking isn't building muscle. Just because the body responds to a unique demand doesn't necessarily mean that it's building muscle.

2) It all comes back to progression. The body will adapt to about any new advanced stimulus rapidly - drop sets, supersets, slow negatives, whatever. After this point it all comes back to progression.

We can constantly alternate advanced training techniques, which will probably keep us sore and the "muscles confused", but without progression of weight over time this isn't going to do much.

Adaptation is seen as a bad thing. I say it's a good thing. When my muscles adapt to the unique demands of a training protocol, I can then focus on the important aspect of training - improving performance.

If my body is constantly trying to adapt to unique stimuli, it makes it harder for me to improve performance/progression.

Not saying all the foo foo stuff doesn't have a place. It certainly does. It just can't be propped up as the Holy Grail.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
Rest Pause, drop sets all that stuff has a place. I wouldn't recommend them to novice lifters though.
Muscles adapt to stress, so changing the variables will help them grow. Can be as simple as adding weight or using other techniques as listed. Also using other lifts beyond the big compounds will never hurt once you have good handle on the big ones.
I personally like using bands or rest pause and partials on the final sets after failure.
Rest-pause ain't so bad. I started doing that off the get go and it didn't hurt me. Drop sets make no sense at all to me, to the point of not even giving them a go. Why strip the weight off? Shouldn't the goal be to add more?
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

I think a person should take the exercises they respond to best, and just hammer away at them. If you plateau take some time off, or scale your weights back 10% and keep hammering. Or do both.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote