Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclenoob View Post
Really? I am just starting so I have no idea but could you tell me how squats will help with a 6 pack? Hope this is not an ignorant question.
IMO, getting lean to reveal the core, is more than than the common comments: They are made in the kitchen or is a function of low body fat. While both on the surface are true, it doesn't take individual particulars into account. For example, one can be very lean (and lean enough to reveal the core) but not have any muscle definition of the core either due to genetics or lack of indirect/direct training, etc, etc.

No, the squat isn't nothing special: It is just one exercise among the many one can use as an exercise when being applied toward training the entire body. There are other exercises you can do for legs/indirect core work that can be effective dependent upon the individual's preferences, starting or present goal position, etc.

With that said, squat type variances do apply indirect core stability and support which is the cores primary bodily function. How much can depend on the squat variant. Such as the back squat versus the front squat and variants of other lower exercises.

When one partakes in this sort of goal (and any goal for that matter, IMO), one educates there self in the path in which they want to walk, AND....educate their self on the means to maintain it once the goal is earned.

1. Educate yourself on the contents of diet, and manipulate THIS to what you want out of your goal and applicable starting position.

2. Train the entire body: Full body or upper/lower split (which ever fits your lifestyle). My definition of full body includes cardio activity--more than what simple lifting the bar brings or manipulation of (sets, reps, volume, and frequency brings). The cardiovascular system is part of us as is the rest, thus why its in my definition. How much cardio, training (volume, sets, reps, frequency) depends on diet structure, starting position (because of recoverability, manipulation of the macros, etc). Its not as difficult as I made that sound, lol.

Within the full body training, there should be a core of lift variants selections (Example only: Row, Military Press, Dead Lift, Squat variant, Lunge variant, Bench Press variant, and maybe some isolation movements, ie, bicep and triceps). In the main compounds, for example (Squat variant, Row, Dead lift, Military Press), these will activate the core indirectly to provide support for the lift, and get stronger as you progress on each respective lift variant. On direct core work, this depends on your starting position before this is added in, IMO (meaning in terms of how much BF you are carrying), and could be added in as you get leaner doing a full body routine (with cardio activity) and dieting down.

Just very, very, brief answer.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Stewart
Banned
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Stewart is off to a bad start

I agree that squats is a good way to sculpt great looking abs. but more than that is to do dynamic total body exercises working all major muscle groups including the abs at one time, leading to greater fat loss.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote