Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Pankaj Dubey
pankaj
Points: 363, Level: 7 Points: 363, Level: 7 Points: 363, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Supp: whey protein
Pankaj Dubey is off to a bad start
Default muscle building with back problems

Can I lift weight for muscle building with my persistent back problem ?
Please advice me and which work out regime should I follow?
I am a fitness freak and used to work out at gym owing to back problem I had to give this up.
An early response from my all friends out here would be extremely helpfull.

love

Pankaj Dubey
Pankaj Dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Has a doctor diagnosed exactly what you back problem is? Is it muscular or skeletal?

Training with a bad back can be done, but one must know what's wrong and train accordingly.

Most here would need you to provide more information.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I have three herniated discs, sciatic nerve displacement, and a 65% disability rating. My physical therapist taught me how to lift weights as part of my rehabilitation process. Lifting weights can be an important part of living a normal life with a bad back. First you need to get healed up, and then you need to figure out what lifts will help you and what lifts to stay away from.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

i would also add, get some help looking at your musculature. Some back pain is cause by muscle imbalances and not an actual injury to the back. A pelvic tilt can cause symptoms that feel like a lower back disc issue. Cause? muscular imbalance related to glutes/hams/quads and abs. As MC said, we need more info. If you have pictures, front on and side standing straight up, that might help us see if there are any apparent imbalances.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I have had some serious issues with both, my lower back and neck.

I see a chiro at least twice a week. I have found that when I lift - my back feels better than when I do not.

I cannot comment on anyone's specific conditions but I will say that exercise, therapy, (PT, massage, foam rollers, stretching, etc) and treatment will benefit a person far more than treatment, alone.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj Dubey View Post
Can I lift weight for muscle building with my persistent back problem ?
Please advice me and which work out regime should I follow?
I am a fitness freak and used to work out at gym owing to back problem I had to give this up.
An early response from my all friends out here would be extremely helpfull.

love

Pankaj Dubey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj Dubey View Post
this is Pankaj aged 46 Indian and a fitness freak out but from last year i had this problem of lumbar spondolysis owing to which i am unable to lift weight and bend forward. friends advice me to workout home and give me tips which would enable me to get my body in shape

Yes you can lift weights, you just need to work out which exercises you are unable to do; even people without back issues etc can still find themsleves restricted because they are unable to perform a set movement...work a way around it, find something else that allows you to target the muscle group and replace exercises as necessary.