Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   muscle building with back problems (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11840)

Pankaj Dubey 12-04-2012 12:20 AM

muscle building with back problems

Can I lift weight for muscle building with my persistent back problem ?
Please advice me and which work out regime should I follow?
I am a fitness freak and used to work out at gym owing to back problem I had to give this up.
An early response from my all friends out here would be extremely helpfull.

love

Pankaj Dubey

MC 12-04-2012 08:41 AM

Has a doctor diagnosed exactly what you back problem is? Is it muscular or skeletal?

Training with a bad back can be done, but one must know what's wrong and train accordingly.

Most here would need you to provide more information.

Off Road 12-04-2012 08:49 AM

I have three herniated discs, sciatic nerve displacement, and a 65% disability rating. My physical therapist taught me how to lift weights as part of my rehabilitation process. Lifting weights can be an important part of living a normal life with a bad back. First you need to get healed up, and then you need to figure out what lifts will help you and what lifts to stay away from.

bamazav 12-04-2012 08:49 AM

i would also add, get some help looking at your musculature. Some back pain is cause by muscle imbalances and not an actual injury to the back. A pelvic tilt can cause symptoms that feel like a lower back disc issue. Cause? muscular imbalance related to glutes/hams/quads and abs. As MC said, we need more info. If you have pictures, front on and side standing straight up, that might help us see if there are any apparent imbalances.

SCStrong 12-04-2012 11:03 AM

I have had some serious issues with both, my lower back and neck.

I see a chiro at least twice a week. I have found that when I lift - my back feels better than when I do not.

I cannot comment on anyone's specific conditions but I will say that exercise, therapy, (PT, massage, foam rollers, stretching, etc) and treatment will benefit a person far more than treatment, alone.

5kgLifter 12-04-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pankaj Dubey (Post 297763)
Can I lift weight for muscle building with my persistent back problem ?
Please advice me and which work out regime should I follow?
I am a fitness freak and used to work out at gym owing to back problem I had to give this up.
An early response from my all friends out here would be extremely helpfull.

love

Pankaj Dubey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pankaj Dubey (Post 264383)
this is Pankaj aged 46 Indian and a fitness freak out but from last year i had this problem of lumbar spondolysis owing to which i am unable to lift weight and bend forward. friends advice me to workout home and give me tips which would enable me to get my body in shape

Yes you can lift weights, you just need to work out which exercises you are unable to do; even people without back issues etc can still find themsleves restricted because they are unable to perform a set movement...work a way around it, find something else that allows you to target the muscle group and replace exercises as necessary.