Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Why do people fail ?

What are the most common reasons for people failing to buld size and strength ?

Not working hard enough ?
Bad program ?
Poor form ?
Bad diet ?
Genetics ?
Not enough recovery time ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

Bad program ?
Poor form ?
Bad diet ?
Genetics ?
Yes
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:

Bad program ?
Poor form ?
Bad diet ?
Genetics ?
All excuses, no-ones fails to build size and strength because of those factors.

People fail from a lack of desire.

Last edited by Fazc; 11-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:

Bad program ?
Poor form ?
Bad diet ?
Genetics ?
Are we talking about beginners or just in general, because I had all these things starting out but still made progress.

That whole genetics thing is a joke,I don't care which way anyone turns it. Whoever blames genetics is holding themselves back.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Lack of desire and/or overvaluing what they are doing.

Consistency is a huge issue. That's obvious answer A. Once in the gym and training consistently the next huge stumbling block is wet noodle training. Limp. No fire. Putting in work. Progression? Eh, sometimes.

Another is majoring in the minors. If I had a dollar for every on point eating plan, supplement plan or lifting plan that was accompanied by no defined progression scheme I would be rich.

You need only to look on this board to see numerous examples of those that "want it". They make amazing progress. Jen, Brute, Al, Tbone, I could go on forever. They gun it first and adjust on the fly.

Too many people try to reverse engineer success. If only I get a precision workout and eating plan, then! No. You have to want it.

Michael Jordan didn't become a great basketball player because he found a good set of drills. Same for Tiger Woods. Sure coaching and proper practice help, but the cornerstone is always drive.

You can't force being in love with the iron. I know those that are, and I know those that aren't. Some are in love with the idea of loving the iron, and live on boards, read the articles, know the lingo, but they have not fallen in love yet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I really don't see them as excuses, rather they are a map to fix what's wrong and reach your destination.
They are only an excuse if you don't fix things and whine about them. . .

---

Last edited by Off Road; 11-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Michael Jordan didn't become a great basketball player because he found a good set of drills. . . Sure coaching and proper practice help, but the cornerstone is always drive.
I like that analogy.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I really don't see them as excuses, rather they are a map to fix what's wrong and reach your destination.
They are only an excuse if you don't fix things and whine about them. . .

---
I don't see how we're in disagreement? Or how you're in agreement with Btb and not with me since we're saying very much the same thing?

Based on the what was asked, they're not reasons for a lack of size and strength. Anyone can build some degree of size and strength, the factors listed are nothing more than obstacles which won't be overcome if the desire isn't there.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I don't see how we're in disagreement?
I'm not disagreeing, just adding to the conversation. To me, excuses are what you use when you are not willing to make a change.

I see this list as more of a checklist to go over when things seem to stop working. When I hear "don't make ecuses" I think of the guys that read it and continue to try harder and harder even though their form might suck, or their diets might be lacking, or their routine is complete garbage. That is just a recipe for stagnation, or regression, or injury.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn

And looking back at the Michael Jordan analogy, he didn't become [arguably] the greates basketball player of all time because he worked really hard on bad technique. No, he became the greatest because he worked really hard on GOOD technique and all the other variables that went in to being a champion. If his technique sucked and his training methods were poor, he would not have been as great as he was.