Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Which exercise causes the most injuries? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11593)

abett07 11-05-2012 06:46 AM

Which exercise causes the most injuries?

A question out of interest, which weight lifting exercise causes the most amount of injuries in the gym?

I canít believe the way some people talk about squats and deadlifts being a risk to the lower back and I wonder if these 2 moves actually do cause that many injuries

Fazc 11-05-2012 06:49 AM

I think not exercising causes more injuries!

5kgLifter 11-05-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 290135)
A question out of interest, which weight lifting exercise causes the most amount of injuries in the gym?

I canít believe the way some people talk about squats and deadlifts being a risk to the lower back and I wonder if these 2 moves actually do cause that many injuries

It's impossible to say; it would be unlikely that any statistics have been collated or even that all injuries realting to weights would have been reported. I'd say, it probably averages out across the board. It also depends on how the exercise is being done; you can guarantee someone has injured themselves doing barbell curls.

Most injuries I get are obtained when not doing weight related activities. :D

Hazzard 11-05-2012 08:46 AM

Probably the bench press, although that might be due to more people doing it, so naturally the injury numbers will be up.

BendtheBar 11-05-2012 08:56 AM

Long term I would say bad bench press form.

For short term lifters or average gym rats it's probably plates being dropped on toes ;) Or lower back strains from trying lifts with horrible form.

jslep 11-05-2012 09:07 AM

i would say elbow and shoulder would be most common.

squat and deadlifts really aren't the most popular lifts to be done. bench, curls and tricep pushdowns are the most frequently done exercises causing stress at the ligaments of the elbow and shoulder just from overuse. those i think would be the most common. easiest way to injure yourself i would think would be with poor squat form and weak abdominals causing low back pain.

Rich Knapp 11-05-2012 09:32 AM

NOT exercising your brain and letting your ego push you into something stupid.

ricka182 11-05-2012 10:54 AM

BTN Press. Even though lots of people love it, it's one of the worst positions to put your rotator cuff in, just very unatural. You will probably never have to press that kind of weight, in that position, ever. Similar to bench press where you'll never have to press weight off you chest while lying down on a bench.

Both are usually caused by bad form. And not just one occurance, over time bad form will chip away and do damage, and then one day it hits. Just ask.., oh wait, me. I had mediocre form for years, then I busted up my shoulder on the bench. Still recovering today.. so going forward, lower weights, pride swallowed, rebuild slowly, and properly.

J_Byrd 11-05-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 290188)
NOT exercising your brain and letting your ego push you into something stupid.

Rich is dead on!

BendtheBar 11-05-2012 11:11 AM

If you are over 300 pounds, tying your shoes and using the bathroom.