Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   dumbbell strength goals (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11564)

old school 11-01-2012 05:02 PM

dumbbell strength goals

im wondering if some of the more experienced members could chime in with some good dumbbell strength goals for a natural lifter so he could realise his muscle potential. i mainly use dumbbells for upper body because i prefer them.

this is where i am at at the moment:

incline dumbbell press 45kg each arm (ea) for 5-6 reps
2 hand standing 30kg (ea) dumbbell press after incline for 5-7 reps
dumbbell row 65kg 5-7 reps (no straps)

these are the main ones for upper body but i also do 35kg dumbbell front squats ( ea) for 10 reps

so where do i need to be at?

BendtheBar 11-01-2012 05:34 PM

Hi OS,

You're doing great. 55-65kgs on incline dumbbells would be pretty darn impressive. Seated dumbbell presses, most guys won't get far beyond 45kg. Not sure about standing. Never did them before. I got up to 55kgs on them once for a 5 rep set, but I consider myself a gifted overhead presser and think that level would be fairly rare.

Dumbbell rows I think you should aim for at least 85kgs for 10 reps. Use straps. Never get grip slow your back development. You may be able to get as high as 120kgs for reps on dumbbell rows if given enough time. That would be the very top end.

My ability to do front squats (in the form of goblet squats) was limited, as it became hard to get enough weight in place. Work until you simply can't get a heavy enough weight in place.

I also recommend not hesitating to drop the weight slightly and do 15-20 rep sets.

Hope that helps some.

old school 11-01-2012 05:56 PM

wow you repped out 55kg dumbbells on seated shoulder press? thats very strong! im guessing your shoulders bloomed before you had to get to that level though?

i would just like to get to the point where i am doing heavy weights for a hypertrophy rep range on upper body lifts. i usually perform higher rep ranges on legs

DocColossus 11-01-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old school (Post 289472)
im wondering if some of the more experienced members could chime in with some good dumbbell strength goals for a natural lifter so he could realise his muscle potential. i mainly use dumbbells for upper body because i prefer them.

this is where i am at at the moment:

incline dumbbell press 45kg each arm (ea) for 5-6 reps
2 hand standing 30kg (ea) dumbbell press after incline for 5-7 reps
dumbbell row 65kg 5-7 reps (no straps)

these are the main ones for upper body but i also do 35kg dumbbell front squats ( ea) for 10 reps

so where do i need to be at?

Do you have video so we can first assess form?

old school 11-03-2012 01:31 PM

sorry no i dont have any vids but they are full range of motion decent form lifts

actually i will say that i use only one dumbbell when incline pressing because i like to self spot and not waste energy getting it up