Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Locking out joints (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11560)

70sBB 11-01-2012 02:21 PM

Locking out joints

I had a competitive bodybuilder from my gym tell me today to never lock out my joints on any exercise. If this a good idea or someone with 6 months into training like myself?

ricka182 11-01-2012 02:31 PM

I've heard the same, and try not to. Something about being an unnatural stress on the joint could damage it..

Off Road 11-01-2012 02:42 PM

I lock-out everything. The rep isn't over until it's full range as far as I'm concerned; deadlift from floor to lock-out, shoulder press from chest to lock-out, bench from chest to lock-out, Squat from below parallel to lock-out.

ricka182 11-01-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 289452)
I lock-out everything. The rep isn't over until it's full range as far as I'm concerned; deadlift from floor to lock-out, shoulder press from chest to lock-out, bench from chest to lock-out, Squat from below parallel to lock-out.

I agree on some of those I failed to think of, where you have to in order to complete a full rep, such as deadlift and sqaut. However, on a bench or shoulder press I never lock-out, because at a certain point the triceps and delts are doing more work than they should to get the weight up. Of course it is a compound excersise, but for those moves I'm pretty strict about stopping just shy of lock-out until the last rep.

Fazc 11-01-2012 03:13 PM

Minor details.

As with most things, take what works and discard the rest.

BendtheBar 11-01-2012 03:47 PM

Focus on building your strength base in hypertrophy ranges and improving form. After 2-3 years if you want to start playing with more advanced techniques as a method to semi-periodize away from constant heavy weight, then go for it.

Just use common sense. There are some exercises where you need to lock out in between reps to stave off injury.

TitanCT 11-01-2012 05:07 PM

the reasons bodybuilders dont lock out, typically, are...
1. removes the tension from the muscle and spreads it to the skeletal system.
2. can be damaging to the joints.

though locking out can be used, its not the norm in bodybuilding style training.

BendtheBar 11-02-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 289474)

though locking out can be used, its not the norm in bodybuilding style training.

I disagree. Most bodybuilders I've filmed and work with lockout. In fact, I think they all did.

I know some don't, but in my opinion they are a minority.

Rich Knapp 11-02-2012 09:16 AM

I think to start with people need to be clear on "Lock out", verses a "Snapping Lockout" as I see so many gym rats do. One day on there style "Snapping lock out", the joint will give on a ME lift and go the other way for a costly fail.

On the other side the coin. No lock out not only relieves bad joint tension but also creates continues tension on muscles and tendons. (As you put on muscle full extention get harder on the tendons and they can rip. ) On lock out you are also only balancing the weight. Depending on the lift you are discussing. "Lock Out" is diffrent for every lift.

I never try to hit 100% lock out. Looking at my arms you might think they are but I stop about 90-95%.

Most people missunderstand hyper extending for 100% lock out also.

Hyper extending is were you are pulling the joint in the opposite direction it was intended to travel, plus the added weight you are using also starts to pull it in the same direction.

TitanCT 11-02-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 289560)
I disagree. Most bodybuilders I've filmed and work with lockout. In fact, I think they all did.

I know some don't, but in my opinion they are a minority.

I don't even lockout my squats often.
I'm not allowed too
It's best to keep constant tension over locking out for growth. Workouts be one harder and more taxing.
Bber's stay soft jointed here more than lock out.