Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   T Nation and big arms articles (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11436)

MikeC 10-20-2012 09:24 PM

T Nation and big arms articles

T NATION | 4 Weeks to Big Arms

Interesting exchange going on at T Nation. The article is titled: "4 Weeks to Big Arms."

Quote:

Kooopa: you know the writer is full of shit when the title says "four weeks to X"
Quote:

Author Dan Trink: @kooopa: while I appreciate your comment and I have no problem being flamed or called out on the internet, truth be told is that I submitted the article with a different title and this is what the editors chose to use. However, as long as recovery and nutrition are in check, you should see arm hypertrophy after 4 weeks on this program -- I do stand by that.
Is it common for editors to slant articles for eye appeal like this? I thought this industry moved past that?

Kuytrider 10-21-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 286546)
T NATION | 4 Weeks to Big Arms

Interesting exchange going on at T Nation. The article is titled: "4 Weeks to Big Arms."

Is it common for editors to slant articles for eye appeal like this? I thought this industry moved past that?

Unfortunately, the industry has not moved past it and probably never will. I'm afraid '4 weeks to big arms' will attract more readers than any article extolling the virtues of hard work and cautioning readers that it will take quite a while to get real results but they'll come if you work hard consistently.

As you know, people want quick results. 4 weeks, 6 weeks and occasionally the 12 week program for 'dedicated' people. Steve has seen it all and he will tell you how the industry works.

The thing is, that article you linked actually includes deadlifts and squats :)

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 07:31 AM

Flex magazine still lives and dies with crazy article titles. Case in point: "25 pounds of muscle by January 1st."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/imag...-preview_a.jpg

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 07:33 AM

An an editor I am constantly changing article titles, but that's more for pragmatic reasons. I'll receive articles with titles something like: "Wow, this is amazing!" A title like this leaves no indication to the reader or Google what it is about. It would never get read.

Off Road 10-21-2012 09:32 AM

I have said for a while that I also think the intros are written after the submission of the articles. The introductory paragraphs often do not match the tone of the rest of the article.

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 286628)
I have said for a while that I also think the intros are written after the submission of the articles. The introductory paragraphs often do not match the tone of the rest of the article.

I could see that happening. At M&F and Flex there is pretty much one guy writing 70% of the content (Stopani). I am pretty sure he tries to bridge outside submissions and tie them into the feel of the magazine.

Now that you mention it though I need to go back and look. Has me curious.

Chillen 10-21-2012 09:53 AM

I don't understand these types of articles, when all one has to do is apply the common sense test.

IMO, the arms (shoulders) are the facilitators which activates the larger muscle groups, and arm size has a solid correlation with body weight and size. Its just common practical sense. If you gain good body weight (by using the facilitators), arm size just follows as you get bigger--"overall".

I know one thing for certain, if I stay at 168 to 170 (at present 7.4% BF), and still bust my ass in the gym, my arms not going to get bigger, unless I gain some weight (even if the fat loss/gain ratio cancels out, if you see what I am getting at).

best wishes,

Don

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 10:01 AM

I'll admit to something. I wrote a "get huge fast" article. It was "get huge fast in 2 years." I informed folks it was possible to add 20-25 pounds during that time.

True story.

kitarpyar 10-21-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 286647)
I'll admit to something. I wrote a "get huge fast" article. It was "get huge fast in 2 years." I informed folks it was possible to add 20-25 pounds during that time.

True story.

How many "do you even lift" responses did you get from the keyboard warriors? :D

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 286648)
How many "do you even lift" responses did you get from the keyboard warriors? :D

I receive quite a few. "I doubt he even lifts."

Many times folks assume I am in bed with supplement sales or trying to sell them something.

Now if it's an article on fullbody workouts, wow. Wear flame retarded clothing.