Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Max lift attempts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11435)

70sBB 10-20-2012 09:05 PM

Max lift attempts

I am noticing a trend among beginning lifters. Everyone seems to be trying a new one rep max every workout at the expense of any volume. This can't be good?

TitanWIP 10-20-2012 09:14 PM

Not sure why it's happening but it does. Kid at the gym squats. Last week he was pissed for missing a 225 squat. I asked him what his program is and he said he's just trying for new maxes. I told him he needs to get his reps in and stop pushing for maxes.

moeheep 10-20-2012 09:18 PM

I agree, I have not done a 1 rep Max in a long time, my working weights are my PR's

gaspers04 10-20-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sBB (Post 286539)
I am noticing a trend among beginning lifters. Everyone seems to be trying a new one rep max every workout at the expense of any volume. This can't be good?

I do this often....

WilldBill88 10-20-2012 11:47 PM

I think going for a 1RM every workout is probably unnecessary. Though as a beginner myself I like to test my 1RM for the Squat & Deadlift here and there. To see if I gotten stronger or if I can beat my last number and set future goals.

MikeM 10-20-2012 11:54 PM

It's good if it keeps you focussed and in the gym raising that one rep max.

It's bad if it prevents you from actually being in the gym and getting that one rep max.

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 286547)
I do this often....

You're not a beginner.

BendtheBar 10-21-2012 09:32 AM

Beginners need rep/form practice and reps simply to build hypertrophy.

I personally would never advocate a beginner train for maxes every session. I want to see them progressing while getting their rep work in. This will build strength very quickly.

There will come a point in time where lower rep sets add value. A base must be built first.

gaspers04 10-21-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 286626)
You're not a beginner.

I am too... ;)

Off Road 10-21-2012 10:26 AM

Here is something to discuss...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Carter
The game is the same on the natural or drugged end. None of the biggest and strongest guys on the planet got that way, training predominantly on singles. NONE. I write this again because I see so many guys now that live on singles as the mainstay of their program. I don’t care what anyone tells you, living in the 5-12 rep range will give you everything you need, 95% of the time. Sprinkle in some weeks of singles here and there (or use them as your primer for your back off sets like I do), but BEAT REP PR’s. Again, 90-95% of your training should be in that 5+ rep range work. Triples are fun too, and triples can do anything singles can do really, so why bother living “single”?

The Importance of Reps – Paul Carter - JimWendler.com