Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   When to not work out (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11422)

hax88 10-19-2012 01:59 PM

When to not work out

I was reading an article today and it said do not work out if you have chest congestion, muslce aches, chills, a fever about 100.4, you are taking a decongestant, or you feel fatigued or light headed.

ffemtny 10-19-2012 02:04 PM

Army basic taught me I could work out with strep throat, little sleep and a high temp. Just drink a lot of water and ignore the naysayers. Your mind can push the body much further than you think.

5kgLifter 10-19-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hax88 (Post 286242)
I was reading an article today and it said do not work out if you have chest congestion, muslce aches, chills, a fever about 100.4, you are taking a decongestant, or you feel fatigued or light headed.

Listen to your body, obviously a congested chest or extremely high temperature wouldn't be the wisest time to workout since both can turn nasty; fatigued is a concern because there are danger issues with heavy weights, lightheaded, is the same...we see idiot youtubers, all the time, fainting and they're not even feeling faint to begin with, they just have poor technique, couple that with actually feeling faint and it's a recipe for disaster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffemtny (Post 286245)
Army basic taught me I could work out with strep throat, little sleep and a high temp. Just drink a lot of water and ignore the naysayers. Your mind can push the body much further than you think.

There are times when you have to push through no matter what, in times of dire emergency but IMO that doesn't necessarily make it the right chocie for an everyday situation.

ffemtny 10-19-2012 02:15 PM

5k,
I meant it to be somewhat humorous, most people don't work out when they are ready to drop. More importantly though if your sick keep your germs at home as I am not a fan of being sick.

5kgLifter 10-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffemtny (Post 286250)
5k,
I meant it to be somewhat humorous, most people don't work out when they are ready to drop. More importantly though if your sick keep your germs at home as I am not a fan of being sick.

Sorry, on forums, sometimes you just can't tell dry humour in the written word ;) smileys ftw :rockon:

quigs 11-01-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffemtny (Post 286250)
5k,

I agree. I do not want the crap that you have, so stay out of the gym. I have seen some guys working out when they are sick, coughing all over the place and it is gross. Stay home and get better than you can catch up later.

TitanCT 11-01-2012 05:09 PM

i would never tell my clients to do this, but unless i physically cannot get out of bed due to illness or injury, i will lift if its a training day.