Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bicep workouts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11352)

70sBB 10-11-2012 08:32 AM

Bicep workouts

Everyone's least favorite topic.

I am using an upper/lower workout split and training 4 days a week. I have rows and pull ups in the workout but am debating whether to add bicep work to each upper day or just on one day. I am after size and strength, but size first.

Thoughts?

Ramrod 10-11-2012 08:58 AM

If your after Size. Do Triceps and Biceps together. Start with Triceps and Super Set Biceps in. Focus on 4 sets of 12.

Warm up good..

Close Grip Bench 4x12
Preacher Curls 4x12
Skull Crushers 4x12
Alt. DB Curls 4x12

If you already have a good base. For size I feel you need to split the days more. Give Back, Chest, Arms, Shoulders and Legs their own day. Just doing upper and lower body days you can't focus enough effort on each group enough to get maxim growth.

If your dead set on upper and lower body. Look into DC Training. It's similar but goes about it in a different way...

For Size.... Super Sets, Drop Sets, giant Sets, Rest/Pause, FST-7 are all tools you should be using.. Just don't over do them.

Off Road 10-11-2012 09:22 AM

Nothing wrong with throwing in a few sets of curls and extensions. Just don't overdo it, the arms are a small muscle group and extra work doesn't always mean extra growth. Personally, I wouldn't throw them in until the extra work was needed.

BigJosh 10-11-2012 09:29 AM

Imo you could get away with doing a few sets of curls on just one of the days and see benefits. However, you could also do a few sets on both days at different rep ranges. For exampel upper body day 1 do 3 sets of 8-10 db curls, upper body 2 do 3 sets of 12-15.
I've done both and they both seemed to work.

bruteforce 10-11-2012 09:38 AM

I've been doing 3 sets of curls at the end of my upper days and added some good size to my arms doing it. no reason not to, but i wouldn't add 10 sets or anything like that.

moeheep 10-11-2012 09:40 AM

I do rows only...no curls

Ramrod 10-11-2012 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a huge believer in Fascia Stretching... By doing Biceps and Triceps on the same day you get the best results. Dogg Crapp, FST-7 and others focus on Stretching the Fascia in one way or another.

By Super setting your Always pumping more blood into both sides of the Arm. This keeps a better force of Stretching the Fascia. The more you get it to stretch. The easier your muscle will grow and fill out.

If you don't super set Biceps and Triceps... Do triceps first. No matter what. If not. After your have a good pump on your Biceps. You CAN NOT get a good contraction on the triceps.

I'm no Mass Monster, but this has worked well for me and my wife..