Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New strength/muscle building routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11289)

Bane11 10-05-2012 02:31 AM

New strength/muscle building routine

Just going to start a new routine after a 3 month lay off. Wanting to build some size and strength so have outlined a simple 3 day a week routine. Keeping only to mass building exercises.

Day 1
Chest/shoulders/triceps

Bench Press
Incline Press
Military Press
Extensions

Day 2
Back/biceps

Chins or Pulldowns
Bent Over Rows
Deadlifts
Barbell Curls

Day 3
Legs

Squats
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Calf Raises

Each exercise will be for 5 sets of 12,10,8,8,8 reps except for calves do 5 sets of 10-15 reps. Pyramid up on the first two sets then stay at the same weight for the remaining three sets. Take only the 3 work sets to near failure.
Any advice would be appreciated.

bamazav 10-05-2012 07:23 AM

Note, this is only my opinion. The routine doesn't build the mass, the person builds the mass. 80% of the equation is two factors, eating and sleeping. That said, for a three day routine I favor a fullbody or push/pull/legs routine. You essentially have a push/pull/legs routine set up. Good start. I am not a fan of your rep scheme, but that is just me. If you work hard in the gym, eat big in the kitchen and get enough sleep, you should put on some mass.

BendtheBar 10-05-2012 09:45 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I've used a program like this. It certainly can work. Depending on your level you might be better off with an upper/lower split, or something like that. But without knowing more, I'll just post general thoughts.

My main advice is to define a progression scheme going in. You could use the same weight for your 3 working sets, and when you can hit 12 reps with the first set, add weight the next time in the gym. There are many ways to progress. This is merely one option.

My second piece of advice it make sure you have a defined eating plan, or wise eating parameters. Far too many trainees fail by thinking they are eating enough, or eating "healthy", etc.

Bane11 10-05-2012 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice and have done some tweaking to the program. Here's the revised routine which will be a 1 on/1 off cycle.

Workout 1- Chest/Back/Shoulders

Bench Press
Incline Press

Chins/Pulldowns
Bent Rows
Deadlifts

Front Press
Side Raises or Upright rows

Workout 2-Legs/Arms

Squats
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Calf Raises

Barbell Curls
Preacher Curls
Pressdowns
Extension

2-3 sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise except for calves which will be done for 10-15 reps. Sets taken to near failure.

As for diet, I stick to a moderately high protein (1g per pound of lean bodyweight) moderately low carb (1g or lower per pound of bodyweight) and fats are at least at 20 %.