Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default What causes the butt wink ?

I had an experience lifter who I trust at my gym yesterday have a look at my form on the the big 4 lifts.The feedback I got was that everything was fine but I have a butt wink as I get low on the deadlifts.I get the butt wink when going close to the ground with the squats but I can still go below Parallel without the butt wink occuring .so its only the deadlift that is the problem.

what usualy causes the butt wink ?

how can I fix this ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Mark Bell has the answers you seek.

Al

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-30-2012 at 08:41 AM.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

An attractive lady walking past.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
I had an experience lifter who I trust at my gym yesterday have a look at my form on the the big 4 lifts.The feedback I got was that everything was fine but I have a butt wink as I get low on the deadlifts.I get the butt wink when going close to the ground with the squats but I can still go below Parallel without the butt wink occuring .so its only the deadlift that is the problem.

what usualy causes the butt wink ?

how can I fix this ?
Squats, I understand with butt wink, deadlifts, however, I've never encountered anyone that can have butt wink issues with it...the butt is high up, not close to the ground; maybe you need to put up an image for this one becuase, I for one, just cannot see how butt wink can even be an issue with the deadlift form.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Squats, I understand with butt wink, deadlifts, however, I've never encountered anyone that can have butt wink issues with it...the butt is high up, not close to the ground; maybe you need to put up an image for this one becuase, I for one, just cannot see how butt wink can even be an issue with the deadlift form.
maybe I have the term butt wink confused , in any case I have a hard time keeping my back upright as I lower the bar down.

question, today I was practicing with an empty bar and looking into the mirror side on,I noticed it was only as the bar got just off the ground that my back couldnt stay upright, this I beleive was also the case when I had someone check my form.If I had 2 20 kilo plates on the end of the bar could my form be fine ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
question, today I was practicing with an empty bar and looking into the mirror side on,I noticed it was only as the bar got just off the ground that my back couldnt stay upright, this I beleive was also the case when I had someone check my form.If I had 2 20 kilo plates on the end of the bar could my form be fine ?
Empty bar isn't the best way to check form. Weight on your back will help keep everything tight and buried, as it should be. It's real hard to judge squat form with an empty bar.

Can you post your video here?

Are you going well below parallel by any chance?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Empty bar isn't the best way to check form. Weight on your back will help keep everything tight and buried, as it should be. It's real hard to judge squat form with an empty bar.
Amen to that. My worst squat form is during the warm-up, with the empty bar. I find it easier to squat properly when there is at least some decent weight on the bar.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
maybe I have the term butt wink confused , in any case I have a hard time keeping my back upright as I lower the bar down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Can you post your video here?

Are you going well below parallel by any chance?
Ahem...deadlift...

Well, as far as I know this is about deadlifts not squats
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Oh...butt wink on deadlifts....sorry. I never heard of butt wink on deadlifts. My apology for not reading this close enough.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
The feedback I got was that everything was fine but I have a butt wink as I get low on the deadlifts.
Your setup is wrong and you're probably getting way too low. Something is broken if your butt is rolling noticeably during deadlift setup. Hard to say what without a video.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.