Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast
Default BB's in my gym

Hey guys just recently had a thought that has been going through my mind...

The gym I go to is mainly a bodybuilding gym and there is some pretty big guys in there who like their competition level. Though, everytime I see them, there always doing some isolation exercise, using dumbbells or machines. I so far have not seen them do any compound movements like the Bench, Squat and Deadlift. So, I been wondering did these guys really get big without compound movements? Or did they start out with the basics and over time build up enough mass to turn to isolation exercises?

Sorry if this is a dumb post but, just something I was pondering.. Thoughts?

Last edited by WilldBill88; 09-25-2012 at 11:45 PM.
WilldBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't think it's unusual for some bodybuilders to avoid deadlifts. Most bodybuilders squat though. When it comes to benching a lot of the bodybuilders I talk with prefer inclines.

For what it's worth, I've interviewed at least 100 top current bodybuilders and most list their top 3 exercises as squats, deadlifts and a bench variation. This is actually one of the standard questions I ask them.

Training evolves a lot over the years. What they are doing now probably differs greatly from what they did 5-10 years ago. The wear and tear from using heavy compounds takes its toll, especially when combined with the tendency of modern bodybuilders to volume train.

Bodybuilding generally doesn't talk periodization, so they are all forced to adapt some way, some how over time to lessen the strain. Usually you see lifters build strength bases and then branch out into more joint friendly moves over the years.

I will add that once you have muscle, it's pretty easy to maintain as well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

Wildbill,
Your best bet if you really want to know is ask, there are some jerks out there but I'm sure most will be approachable and give you legit answers . People who are into lifting usually love to talk lifting . Had a guy at my reserve unit, who was an amateur bodybuilder and loved to talk bodybuilding , powerlifting , boxing, etc..
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

If they are big and compete there are concentrating on improving there symmetry.

This is NOT something a beginer or non competitive bber needs to worry about.

Plus as Steve said. Day in and day out of lifting heavy weights takes its toll on the body and you need to find things that keep your improvements coming.

Some one lifting for 1 year can't lift like a person lifting for 10+ years. The body just won't take it or react the same to it.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
If they are big and compete there are concentrating on improving there symmetry.

This is NOT something a beginer or non competitive bber needs to worry about.

I forgot the point about symmetry and weaknesses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I forgot the point about symmetry and weaknesses.
Yes and to clear up any confusion on what "weakness" is for a competitive bodybuilder.

A weakness refers to a muscle thats not developed in size proportion to the rest of the body. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weight he can lift with that muscle.

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Good points and thanks for the replys!